Compaq R3000 no sound no audio device found!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jasikasisback, Nov 19, 2013.

1. jasikasisback

jasikasisback Private E-2

I have rebooted windowsxp with service pack 2 onto my old compaq presario r3000. my computer has the ati radeion epress 200m and the amd 64 chip but i am running it in 32. I have done this many times before and this time windows is not updating automatically and I just can't be bothered to stay on the line with microsoft for a zillion years to get it to work..i had the same problem in the past and made a cd with the files on it but have lost it just like i lost the original cd with all the hardware drivers that came with the computer..

hp website is no longer user friendly...i remember when they had online help that got any computer running regardless of age...now they wont do that anymore...

I am quite happy to leave it with sp2 as the kids will be using this computer for youtube and sesame street...etc...so no real gaming and i doubt much malware exists on the sesame street web page or similar pages..

anyway I cannot find the audio device installed...I go to device manager and get the yellow question marks beside other devices which include
    mass storage controller
    pci modem
    sm bus controller
    video controller

don't know if that is relevant but i just want sound on this damn thing...
    i don't have the volume control working and have tried downloading the realtek ac97 drivers but they don't show up anywhere once installed

any help would be appreciated...

2. jasikasisback

sorry it is an R4000....my mistake

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, jasikasisback, and welcome to MajorGeeks.

The reason you can't reload your audio drivers is most likely because your chipset drivers need to be reloaded first (the "mass storage controller", "sm bus controller", etc.).

Because the chipset drivers are vital to your system's operation we need to know the exact model number of your machine. Please navigate to Control Panel > System Properties - there should be an entry there specifying your machine's model number.

For reference: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...indModel&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00033108&lc=en

4. jasikasisback

Model number PN495AV

This on the sticker on the bottom as well.

5. jasikasisback

so can anyone provide a link to the drivers i need?

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

7. jasikasisback

I get the black box popping out

c:\swsetup/SP29873>start /min \swsetup\audio\setup.exe /s

and then the blue box saying it cannot find \swsetup\audio\setup.exe

and installation grinds to a halt...

This is most likely on my windows disc that came with the computer or my sp disc but i was wondering if anyone can tell me where to add what manually so i don't have to reboot windows all over again....

This same computer can not shut off either as it cannot find the rundll32.exe when it shuts down as it is not responding...:) but will do so if you end it for windows..

Any help will be appreciated..

so if i have to i will reboot windows again...but it not it would be a great help..

Plus it will not update through windows update...but i don't care about that...as long as i get sound for the kids to watch their stuff on here that will be ok...:)

8. jasikasisback

Guys I am no computer expert and need help to get this working again...:)

9. jasikasisback

anyway i downloaded windows again and still no luck.. but upon the second reboot the sound has unexpectedly returned...yay! i tried to install the ae udio driver and got the same message so i tried to install to a folder on the desktop..got the same message but for some reason it works now...the files are not in the folder i directed it to be downloaded to ..but who cares.....as long as it is working!now the kids can enjoy the computer...thanks for the help!

10. jasikasisback

still got the yellow question marks beside some items...mass storage controller...pci modem...sm bus controller and the video controller...is it highly unstable to use in this state???

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds