Connection Problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by richlizard, Nov 29, 2004.

1. richlizard

richlizard Private E-2

Hi all. My client recently started having problems and I eventually tied it down to the W32.Spybot virus. After removing it, he can now connect to his ISP (dial-up), but cannot get OExpress or Iexplorer to work. He also cannot ping to any web site or IP address. Any ideas what could be wrong? I have tried running a winsock/tcpip fix tool, but to no avail. thanks.

2. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

What operating system ?
    What kind of dialup (phone/cable/dsl) ?
    Can it aquire an IP address when doing renew from ISP DHCP ?
    Is the HOSTS file empty ?

3. richlizard

richlizard Private E-2

Hi and thanks for your reply.

OS is XP professional.
    Dial-up.
    Renew from ISP DHCP + empty hosts; could you please explain how I attempt these?

Thanks

4. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

It is always nice when someone wants to help out, but when you don't have the proper knowledge then it is usually a better idea to help out by finding some who has the knowledge. (Unless time is critical and human life is at stake)

I don't feel comftable about guiding you and your client into even more trouble because of misunderstanding and other communications issues that might appear in this forum. Instead I suggest you find some one with more experience and you can look at the computer together.

P.S. The newbie solution to most network problems, is to right-click the connection in Network Connections and select Repair Connection

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/windowsnetworkin1/ht/renewipaddrwxp.htm
    http://accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

5. richlizard

richlizard Private E-2

Hi Snakefoot.

Everything much appreciated!

Richard

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds