What about my DX9 games?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kMOS, Jun 3, 2007.

1. kMOS

kMOS Private E-2

This summer I was going to build a new PC, and I'll be going from an FX6800 GT to two 8800 GTS running in SLi. With this upgrade I will probably be getting Vista as well. The thing is, I read the other day that DX10 will only support DX9 with some sort of software emulation, and no hardware support.
    I play a lot of EverQuest II which is a DX9 game (and is also quite a resource hog). Does this mean that when I build my new PC and play EQ2, that my hardware will pretty much be rendered useless because of DX10's lack of hardware support for DX9?

Thanks,

kMOS

2. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

I wouldn't try vista right now most games have issues with it and some others won't work with it at all.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Do you have any evidence to back that up? You know how we feel about blanket statements that have no proof.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX

I'm not sure where you heard it wouldn't support hardware acceleration. Windows Vista includes DX10, and also includes the DX9 API for compatibility(full compatibility) with older games. All games within the last several years have required hardware acceleration and MS knows this. They aren't going to kill their OS by making it incompatible with 99.9 percent of the games out there.

5. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

What i men't to say was i would recommend vista right now because it's still buggy and there's a lot of games that won't run on it http://www.thinktechno.com/2007/03/13/list-of-vista-compatible-games/. For me need for speed carbon radomly ran slow and i have 2 gigs of ram.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

NFS Carbon is video dependent more than anything. Your video drivers are most likley to blame. Thats not Microsoft's fault. It will take a good year for drivers to fully mature in Vista.

7. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Vista is not buggy. I wish everyone that has not tried it, to stop spreading FUD. I have not had any problems using Vista yet.

8. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

I have tried it (i own a upgrade dvd to home premium) and i have run into bugs so i reinstall xp, But microsoft will keep on sending out patches for Vista ether i buy a game that needs vista or until Ati comes out with better performing drivers i'll stick with xp.

9. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Then the bugs are hardware related, due to Vista is not buggy. Compared to what XP was out of the box. As for patches, there have been none for Vista, other then third party software that was not 100% compatible when Vista RTM, along with hardware drivers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds