Best antivirus for PC

Discussion in 'Software' started by titi, Mar 28, 2012.

1. titi

titi Private E-2

HI
    i have search which is the best antivirus for a desktop computer, home use.
    my computer its only used for internet purposes such as mail, youtube, facebook, twitter and social websites like these.

so i think i need internet security plus general protection of the pc

can u recommend an antivirus before i waste my money on program. please:)

2. Spartan

Spartan Private First Class

Kaspersky Internet Security 2012.

It has protected me well for years and has become lighter since the upgrade to 2012 on the computer!

3. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

AVG 2012 or malwarebytes Have not have had a single issue with both.If you want better protection i would all so use the malwarebyts Pro version key only cost like 20$ for a whole year.

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I use Avira which is free and is awesome for me (has been on my kid's computer and not a virus in 4 years).

I also use NOD32 on my laptop which is not free. It is also excellent.

Honestly, after all these years of watching some of the best Malware fighters online, I'd trust our malware experts over anyone. Here is a thread you can check out that was written by Chaslang: How to Protect yourself from malware!

5. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I gave up on all of the free AV programs. I only use NOD32 now on everything. As LauraR said, it's not free but it is considered the best by many people.

6. Spartan

Correction: Malwarebytes License is not for a whole year. It is valid for life

7. 4einc

4einc Private E-2

To be honest around 8 years ago I had Norton as that subscription ended I switched to McAfee as my Fiancee's parents were using it and I kinda preferred it, I lost my job and the subscription was coming to the end I took a chance on Avast and have never looked back, it keeps getting better and better... I recommend it to all who ask and I gladly recommend it to you...

8. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> I think I need internet security plus general protection of the PC. Can u recommend an antivirus before i waste my money on program. <<

For many years I used the AVG Free edition as well as Avast and then finally Avira (which I actually liked the best of the three freeware antivirus program choices) while using Zone Alarm as a firewall and Malwarebytes Pro as well for spyware/malware protection. AVG had an excellent forum but I finally stopped using it because for some odd reason one of the updates kept crashing my computer so I used Avast and then finally Avira; primarily because someone here at Major Geeks so highly recommended it! However this year I decided to try out Norton Internet Security Suite; mostly because when I switched my ISP to Comcast, the full version of Norton Internet Security Suite 2012 (which also included a more user-friendly firewall and an excellent automatic back-up program within the suite) was provided free of charge. Also a big plus was the fact that Infinity/Comcast allows its customers to install the suite on as many computers as you have in your home - all free of charge! ;)

My advice before you spend a ton of dough on AV protection: Always check your ISPs home page to see if they provide free AV protection! Nowadays, many internet providers in the U.S. provide totally FREE AV products; such as RCN and Verizon, which both offer their customers McAfee Active protection w/free a free suite that includes both antivirus and firewall protection. Also definitely try out the Malwarebytes program which comes in a free and pro version.

Good Luck -- COMP

9. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Did they change it i though it was for a year

10. Spartan

Well Im faily new to MBAM as I used to use SUPERAntiSpyware Pro in the past. But before switching to MBAM, I asked this very same question about the license validity and someone told me that it's a lifetime license. Basically you pay once only, for use one 1 computer

I quickly found this in their forums

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

12. titi

titi Private E-2

Really usefull... thank you for your respond
    i apologize for the late reply but i havent been connected due to my studies... but now i think im more prepared and a AV selected.:)

13. titi

titi Private E-2

14. titi

titi Private E-2

thank you for the help and interest in the topic.
    help me a lot :D

many thanks

15. silas

silas MajorGeek

I run avast. free and listed here. also malwarebytes and superantispyware to help.

16. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I purchased a license for Malwarebytes Anti-malware PRO three years ago and have updated a couple of times, as I recall.
    It is still valid and providing real time protection.

I tried Avira again recently for a few weeks but then uninstalled Avira and returned to Avast.
    Avast seems to run more smoothly on my Windows XP Home machine and there are fewer Processes running after startup.

As recommended on chaslang's Malware Protection page posted by LauraR and plodr, both
    SpywareBlaster AND SpyBot-Search & Destroy
    are Free and provide additional Passive protection.

You can also use SUPERAntiSpyware Free for additional scanning.

17. lugati

lugati Private E-2

I use Microsoft Security Essentials on my windows PC. I must say very light, does its job very efficiently. I have switched from Avast to MSE and its all good.
    :)

18. Guy Newton

Guy Newton Private E-2

[QUOTEMy advice before you spend a ton of dough on AV protection: Always check your ISPs home page to see if they provide free AV protection! Nowadays, many internet providers in the U.S. provide totally FREE AV products; such as RCN and Verizon, which both offer their customers McAfee Active protection w/free a free suite that includes both antivirus and firewall protection. Also definitely try out the Malwarebytes program which comes in a free and pro version.

Good Luck -- COMP[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

That's good advise thanks, I went to centurylink and they provide Norton Antivirus free

Guy

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I use Microsoft Security Essentials. Hasn't let me down yet (not that I get viruses anyway).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds