typcal good gaming computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gixbusa, Jul 12, 2012.

1. gixbusa

gixbusa Guest

gf said for my bday she is going to get me a gaming lap top. We both are medical field people but do enjoy a good mmo here and there so we can play together, Looking for nothing to fancy and has to be under 400 dollars for a good lap top. Im a little lost on the new technology nowadays....heres a few i was looking at listed but what is a typical gig ram and ghz people are running now....also going o use this for internet browsing...medical papers

ASUS A53U-ES21 15.6-Inch Laptop (Mocha)

HP G72-b50us 17.3-Inch Laptop PC

Acer Aspire AS5749Z-4809

Acer Aspire AS5750Z-4835

oshiba Black 15.6" Satellite C655D-S5518

Acer 15.6" Aspire AS5250-0895

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Gaming laptop is an oxymoron. They never perform like a desktop. Under 400? Sorry my friend a decent gaming rig would be at least 800 and closer to 1200+ for a "gaming" laptop. At 400 dollar you are at literally entry level laptops. Look for best video card and plenty of memory, that will help.

3. gixbusa

gixbusa Guest

well i prefer my xbox for friends wise but the gf was always bugging me 24/7 till i got her hooked on a mmo called forsaken world i got two different people listing the specs to play

1st
    Info so far, from various sources:

Minimum Requirements:
    CPU: Dual-Core 2.0GHz
    RAM: 1 GB RAM
    HDD: 5 GB Free
    Graphics Card: nVIDIA GeForce 9600GT

Recommended Specifications:
    CPU: Pentium Dual-Core 2.5GHz
    RAM: 2 GB RAM
    HDD: 8 GB Free
    Graphics Card: nVIDIA GeForce 9800GT or better

2nd
    Source: the Perfect World Download pages

"System Requirement
    Operating System Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
    CPU Intel Pentium 4 1.5Ghz or AMD Athlon 1500+ or newer and faster CPU
    RAM 512MB or more of RAM (Vista and Windows 7 require 1GB or more, 2GB+ preferred)
    Hard Disk 5GB of Hard Drive Space or more (14GB or more preferred)
    Graphic Display 3D video chipset with pixel and vertex shader model 1.3 supported. GeForce 4 Ti4200 64MB or ATI™ Radeon™ 8500 64MB or newer for Windows XP. For Windows Vista and 7, a GeForce FX 5200 128MB or ATI Radeon 9500 128MB or newer is needed.
    Sound Drivers DirectX compatible sound chip or onboard audio capability with the latest sound drivers
    Network Broadband Internet connection required"

4. gixbusa

gixbusa Guest

well basically got the gf hooked on a mmo cause she was being very clingy and needy so she would get off my back a little those other games i am sure are great but i dont think i need those high of specs to run this one called forsaken world its a free mmo heres the specs needed just to run it...so listed which one of those lap tops or brands would you stick with

Source: the Perfect World Download pages

"System Requirement
    Operating System Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
    CPU Intel Pentium 4 1.5Ghz or AMD Athlon 1500+ or newer and faster CPU
    RAM 512MB or more of RAM (Vista and Windows 7 require 1GB or more, 2GB+ preferred)
    Hard Disk 5GB of Hard Drive Space or more (14GB or more preferred)
    Graphic Display 3D video chipset with pixel and vertex shader model 1.3 supported. GeForce 4 Ti4200 64MB or ATI™ Radeon™ 8500 64MB or newer for Windows XP. For Windows Vista and 7, a GeForce FX 5200 128MB or ATI Radeon 9500 128MB or newer is needed.
    Sound Drivers DirectX compatible sound chip or onboard audio capability with the latest sound drivers
    Network Broadband Internet connection required"

or another guy said this

Info so far, from various sources:

Minimum Requirements:
    CPU: Dual-Core 2.0GHz
    RAM: 1 GB RAM
    HDD: 5 GB Free
    Graphics Card: nVIDIA GeForce 9600GT

Recommended Specifications:
    CPU: Pentium Dual-Core 2.5GHz
    RAM: 2 GB RAM
    HDD: 8 GB Free
    Graphics Card: nVIDIA GeForce 9800GT or better

5. gixbusa

gixbusa Guest

so your telling me non of the above would work for that game basically? lol she has a sony sony vaio and it plays fine on that

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2012
  6. gixbusa

gixbusa Guest

that really sucks...my best bet i guess i looking up a lil more expensive one on ebay and hope for a good price i guess unless one of those has some cheap updates i can do here and there to make into a decent lil gamer...the sony vioa of hers is like 1-2 years old and plays it fine thats just weird i guess thinking these newer ones cant but that older one can.....well what brands do you reccomend....im told acer and asus are good brands

7. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Agreed

I spent about close to 900$ for mine and its not even maxed out yet.
    Mine here would be a cheap typical Build.
    I was on a budget when i started to build this hell my cpu is 65watts low power but i can (OC) it too 3.68Ghz.My main board can fit 16 gigs of Ram if needed.

Right now i am try to just keep it cooled.And i am doing a pretty good job.My Cpu barely reach's 80F While gaming.Video card is the worst i still got the stock cooler.

If you want a good gaming computer you have to make sure you got really good amount of air flow.Or if you want go with Liquid Cooling.

CPU
    AMD Athlon II X2 260 70 °F 3.20GHZ
    RAM
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard
    MSI 870A-G54 (MS-7599) (CPU1) 87 °F
    Graphics
    1023MB GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA) 103 °F

8. gixbusa

gixbusa Guest

i guess im just looking for something simple to get me by for that game

9. Goldenskull

Every body has there good and bad days.

10. gixbusa

gixbusa Guest

lol so the good news is any of those will correct? lol

11. gixbusa

gixbusa Guest

tell you what man thats alot of relief on my part. for the last 4 years the gf and i have never really spent more then 50 bucks on each other for gifts but she wants that wedding ring bad lol. She told me she wants to get me a bigger gift im thinking to push me in the direction lol. So knowing I can get away with her wanting to spend 200-400 bucks on a lap top and knowing i can if alot of sweat off my back

12. gixbusa

gixbusa Guest

you sir are awesome. she has her sony viao and i will just have to choose one of those comps for me then it will be a hard choice lol you have a top three to go with? we are going to best buy tonight after she gets off work so i will browse there. if it comes down to sound i do have some speakers i bought off walmart...had a 20 dollar gift card and decided why not when they had a sale on there logitech speakers that plug into the headphone jack and sound pretty nice

13. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Yo, money is tight. Go to New Egg or Tiger Direct and shop the laptops in your range and reviews. Might find a better deal and most deliver with days. PLUS you don't want to trust the average employee at a chain store, I have heard crazy lies from those guys.

14. gixbusa

gixbusa Guest

major no worries bud, i hate the guys at best buy.....they told my parents a few years back there computer was garbage and a piece....had them buy some 900 dollar comp....i asked if i could have there old comp....placed a new internal hard drive in there and bam good as new....ran faster then there new one...i did have a lil chat with the manager and the salesman.....mad him feel like a complete dumb ...not sure what the language barrier on here is but you can guess...i go to stores and see what they have and then go on amazon and ebay for my items...but i do some research on some gadget sites..i do have about 120 bucks for ebay on gift cards i was gonna use so i was gonna place that towards the lap top.

15. Goldenskull

Best Buy is crap they over price every thing then what it really cost.

16. gixbusa

gixbusa Guest

well of listed which do you think is best? i did find these tonight at best buy...if none then let me know which i listed before...i def appreciate all the help guys

$475.98
    Toshiba - 15.6" Satellite Laptop - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive - Matrix Silver
    Model: L755-S5152

$429.99
    Toshiba - 17.3" Satellite Laptop - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive - Matrix Graphite
    Model: L775D-S7112

$449.99
    Toshiba - 17.3" Satellite Laptop - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive - Matrix Graphite
    Model: L775-S7111

$489.99
    Toshiba - 15.6" Satellite Laptop - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive - Mercury Silver
    Model: C855DS5237

$479.99
    Asus - 15.6" Laptop - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive - IMR Matte Dark Brown Suit
    Model: K53E-BBR21

17. Goldenskull

try new egg i saw this L755-S5152 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214607&Tpk=L755-S5152
    Model: C855DS5237 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214862&Tpk=C855DS5237

C855DS5237seems to be a better choice 2.70ghz cpu

18. Goldenskull

hmm i am surprised best buys price lowered a bit sense the last time i used them.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds