Start up blank screen help please

Discussion in 'Software' started by Steveswfc, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Steveswfc

Steveswfc Private E-2

Hi there, i made a thread about this problem and it wasn't resolved, my pc is still broken :(. Someone started trying to help me which i am very greatful for but then stopped messaging.
    Please can someone help me out and try to help me fix my pc, i believe now it is something to do with drivers.
    Please follow this link.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=121522
    Cheers
    Steve

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

@HopperDave.....looks like you have some work to complete here :D

3. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

I would boot to Safe Mode, then delete the video card driver from the device manager. Reboot and re-install your correct video driver.

4. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

hi,As yargvel says,you have to reinstall driver over again.My brother have 9250,and in device manager you can see 2 drivers for ATI-primary and secondary.they comes in pair.If you install the driver corectly you will see your graphic card name eg.radeon 9600,not VGA-safe/.

5. link48010

link48010 Private E-2

If safe mode works that would be my bet, or "boot with last known good config". if you have a bios menu open it up, there should be an option for resetting to defaults. use that. if all else fails then try microsoft recovery console from the disk (boot with the disk and press R at the prompt). RC restores files manualy and one at a time so that would be the last option. do you have a recover partition on the harddrive, that would be my bet before RC. I have had strange problems with Nvidia cards and drivers and such before, it that is the problem i really cant help you. If you still have your chipset Video card in, unplug the extra one and plug into the chipset motherboard one and try that so you can reinstall the driver. Make a backup or all you data is a good idea at this point.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

LKG isnt going to do any good after all that is done, and recovery console isn't helpful if safe mode works. Also, I'm pretty sure it was determined that there is no onboard video. Its not an Nvidia issue, check out the previous thread.

VGA save is the UGA driver that Windows uses in Safe Mode. It is by design, and will show up as such in Safe Mode. There is no hardware acceleration in Safe Mode, and there will be very limited video capabilities, just enough to view the OS.

I suspect the video card, and the suggestions in this thread for reinstalling it are excellent ideas, IMO. You did a clean installation and it worked. If it was ram failure, the chances of it even reinstalling windows is damn slim. If it was the hard drive, then replacing it would have solved the problem. If it was the motherboard...well thats a possibility, but slim. The video card/driver is highly suspect.

7. Steveswfc

Steveswfc Private E-2

Thankyou so much for this guys. it can't be a hard drive fault i am sure as i did replace the hard drive and reformat all of my drives. I have tried uninstalling all video drivers in safe mode,.. i restart and they are back again. When i put in the cd to install the correct drivers it says "please install a standard VGA driver and try again." the problem is that it says this before and even after i let windows automatically install drivers, i have tried both. I really don't understand why it won't let me just install the correct drivers on the cd that came with it! I have no on board graphics so i figure i can't start it up at all without the graphics card in. I am thinking i will just buy a new graphics card, though it will cost me I am rather sure this should fix it, but if i do do that, after i install it should i not have to start in safe mode to install the drivers or will windows detect it and be able to use it before the drivers are working to be able to install them properly, as i need a display that works to do that! Sorry if i sound a bit thick at the moment. Any good suggestions on graphics cards under like £80, AGP graphics cards. Thanks, and are you almost sure this would fix it as it would replace both the graphics card and the drivers.
    Cheers
    Steve

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You know what, install your motherboard chipset drivers. That particular message comes up sometimes when the AGP miniport drivers are not installed.

9. Steveswfc

Steveswfc Private E-2

When i installed my new hard drive and set up windows xp the first thing i always do and did was install the drivers that came with the motherboard.. when i put that in now everything is grayed out because it is already installed,.. hmm, i'm thinking maybe i should take it to a shop because then they could try a new graphics card in it without me having to buy it unless it worked. Thankyou all for you're help and i'll tell you what happens for the future :)
    Thanks again
    Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds