Quick question

Discussion in 'Software' started by DrumGuy, Dec 8, 2005.

1. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

Is it true or false that AOL all instant messages are saved to the hard drive?

If so, where are these files/logs located?

Thanks

2. Fish20

Fish20 Private E-2

Well, in trillian usually the history is saved to the hard drive for a period of time and later is deleted by the defalt settings. But aim im unsure... (Use Trillian) ;)

3. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

I don't think he wants to use trillian if he needs help with AIM.

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

They may be located in the following directory (2k/xp (me?))

Click start, run, then type in the following (or copy/paste):

c:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\AOL\userprofiles (press enter/return)

The logs MAY be located within here.

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Surely the path is displayed in the programs settings?

Anyway, if you have the AOL toolbar, it can be accessed via the File menu, click on Log Manager, then click on Open Log.

In the Settings menu, select Preferences, in the communications section, select your preferences, then click OK.

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

Yes, you can click on the start menu icon and click properties. But, typically, the logs are stored within the individual profiles.

7. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

OK, guess I need to clarify and perhaps ask another question.

I am trying to locate I.M logs that were used thru the AOL software itself, NOT thru AOL I.M. or AOL toolbar.

Now, I've been told that all I.M.'s are saved to the harddrive but why am I assuming that if an I.M. log wasn't created (thru "file" / "Log Manager" ) they may not exist?

Any and all help appreciated as I am doing research for my company against a former employee.

8. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

The easy way is to just check the settings and see if logging is enabled and where it's stored.

Sorry, but I don't use AOL.

9. 0S1R1S

0S1R1S Private E-2

ive never had normal AIM save any of my conversations.. but when i upgraded to DeadAIM there was an option of where to save them. but i never enabled it. what version are you using?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds