how to tell version of Windows 8.1 apps

Discussion in 'Software' started by usafveteran, Aug 18, 2014.

1. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

On 8/15/14, I received an email from Skype telling me I need to update Skype for Windows 8.1. I had been using the version that I had in Windows 8 before updating Windows to 8.1. I updated it today.

But, I was just wondering, where can users find the version # for Windows 8/8.1 apps? With Windows 7 programs/apps, as you know, the version # can usually be determined by going to Help (on the menu) and clicking on About; this may vary slightly depending on the particular program. But, I see no equivalent feature in Win 8/8.1 apps.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

You may need to locate the target app, right click it and choose Properties and then click on the Details Tab.

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Right clicking on an app tile in Windows 8.1 does not show Properties; it shows pin ..., unpin ..., uninstall, etc. but no Properties.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Seems there is no info available at all about the apps, none I can find anyway.

5. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

What about the actual app in the Programs folder? Or doesn't Win 8/8.1 install apps to there?

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

There is a WindowsApps folder in Program Files but on my system its properties say 0 files 0 folders and 0 bytes, yet my system has all the pre-installed apps available. If you are not an 8 user an app in Win 8 is not the same animal at all as software installed via the desktop and atm I'm stumped as to how to find any info at all about them, though I guess I'm not that serious about finding out either as I hardly use them at all.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

8. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Thanks to everyone for responding. I followed the link plodr posted and tested it with my Skype app and found the version.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds