delete problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by badhrt, Oct 28, 2002.

1. badhrt

badhrt Private E-2

This is my first post to this board so I'm not sure this is the appropriate location for this thread.
    My problem is that I got hung with a so called image file with a file name that is so long it runs off the screen and I can't seem to get rid of it.
    I've since installed a MS patch that is supposed to prevent any further occurances of this kind of problem when downloading files.
    Any help would be appreciated

Win XPpro
    IE6

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

WELCOME TO MAJOR GEEKS :D

Are you able to rename it at all? select the file, hit f2 to rename.

if that doesn't work. Copy all files from that folder to another folder and then see if you can delete the folder. If needed, recreate the folder and place the other files back in.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2002
  3. badhrt

badhrt Private E-2

Thanks for the welcome Kodo!

Won't rename and won't move anywhere, not to a new folder nor an existing folder, it just sits there like a big lump of useless dodo LOL :D

4. jcm996

jcm996 Private E-2

Are you logging in as admin or user? If you are logged in as user there may be permissions set on it not allowing you to delete it.

Does XP have the properties listing on files when you right click? (I can't check on mine till that new power supply gets here) If so make sure to uncheck the read only box.

5. FlyingPenguin

FlyingPenguin Private E-2

Try deleting it from a DOS window.

Start->Run

Type "CMD"

Use the CD command to change to the directory with the file:

CD\<directory name>

Use the delete command with a wildcard to delete the file (use the first 10 letters of the filename so you can be certain you won't delete some other file as well):

DEL <first 10 letters of the filename>*.*

6. badhrt

badhrt Private E-2

I'm logged in as admin jcm but have no properties avalable on the right click of that file. I have open, edit, print, preview, open with..., Ultra-edit 32 and send to. I get no positive responses from any of these functions. All the other files in this particular folder are functioning with all their normalities. If it is of any help the folder is "My Shared Folder" within programs/kazaa lite.

7. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

is kazaa running?? If so then it's possible that KAzaa has the file open. Make sure it's completely exited, not just running in the sys tray, and then try to delete the file.,

8. howie

howie Private E-2

after closing kazaa from the sys tray, check it is closed in your process (ctrl+alt+del) if you find kazaa in your process end task then try and delete your file

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds