Help please, windows xp pro, error code 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by DinoRoberts, Jul 30, 2003.

1. DinoRoberts

DinoRoberts Private E-2

on my wifes computer we been running xp pro for dang near 10 months without problems, today my daughter got on her computer and pressed a load of buttons (she's 3) and it crashed, when we restarted it , it came up with an error code 7, i/386/ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded, I put my xp disk in and it won't let me reinstall either, I'm stuck or more correctly my wife is and now she wants to use mine which is ok for a day or so, but I need to get this fixed, so any help, and yes I googled it, tried a few without success and came back to the pros here for expert advice. Like I said, it has been working flawlsly for 10 months , no new installations in last 2 months, virus scans every week, etc.

Help

---------------------
    Dino

2. SwatShark

SwatShark Captain Cuffs

I found a link at this page to a microsoft knowledge base article which is found here . Hope this helps.

3. DinoRoberts

DinoRoberts Private E-2

Thanks but it doesn't help, I been to the knowledge base already with no help, and I can't even reinstall xp fresh from the cd, that makes me upset also.

Thanks for your try,

Anyone else please please please

4. SwatShark

SwatShark Captain Cuffs

If you're to the point where you need to format to solve your troubles then do this. Get a Windows ME bootdisk from here . It will make a bootdisk on a floppy for you. Put it in the drive and reboot. You can run fdisk from there and format the drive. Or you can make a DOS bootdisk with the format command on it and do it that way. Then reinstall using the Windows CD.

If I understand your post correctly you can't get into windows at all, correct?

5. DinoRoberts

DinoRoberts Private E-2

correct can't get into it at all anymore

6. SwatShark

SwatShark Captain Cuffs

Dino, I was digging around a bit wondering if there was a way you could salvage your system without reformating and I ran across this site . I was thinking instead of formatting, maybe you could copy that file from the windows cd and insert it into the correct directory and try to boot. What's the worst that can happen, it not work? Well, it's already not working so you wouldn't have lost anything, but if it works you might be able to get the system up, if only to back up the needed things then format. That site also has a download package but I'm not sure what it entails. I'll look at it a bit more and see if there is anything there you might be able to use.

Edit:
    You may not be able to use the files in the download packet due to them being for Windows NT OS. I don't know if your OS uses the same versions of the file in question or not. Either way, it gave me the idea of copying the file from the windows cd. If you think it's worth a shot then, by all means, try it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2003
  7. DinoRoberts

DinoRoberts Private E-2

Well folks, thanks for the help, but no dice. did the me disks, xp disks, even 98 disks. I can't get in anymore and now my wife is taking over my computer and I'm getting tears in my eyes.

thanks for you input,
    here is dino with one less computer in the house,
    Dino

8. Gabriel

Gabriel Private E-2

I had this problem recently and the only way I could get this beast going again was to get into dos and play around. This is how the configuration looks. I do not remember how I got there but as you can see it is possible. I hope this helps you out. Now if I can figure out how to configure the boot properly I'll be happy.

[boot loader]
    redirect=usebiossettings
    redirectbaudrate=
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

9. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Looks as though you cannot boot the machine at all let alone into DOS - i.e., BIOS doesn't beep or boot. Are you able to power up at all?

However, you can remove the hard drive and attach to another system to get what you need off of it.

10. DinoRoberts

DinoRoberts Private E-2

I can't boot into safemode, I cant boot in to set up, anything software related, including dos, All I get is the bios screen where I get the error message,

I was wondering if I could take out the harddrive and put it in another computer and maybe reformat it there, and I have another hard disk I could put in, but it is only 3 gigs and the one that is in the box now is 80gigs, ahhhhhhh. Has all my wifes school work on it too.

Do ya think If I took it out and placed the hd in another comp that I might beable to acces it's contents and reformat it there , also, I didn't mention that it is formatted ntfs, if that matters or not

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Better late than never I say :D

Try booting to the XP CD.

When it says hit F6 for scsi drivers, etc etc, please tap F5.

When the selection screen comes up, choose whatever Standard PC option you have there.

See, the problem here is you have a presumably single CPU system, which uses ntoskrnl.exe.

Setup is trying to load ntoskrnlmp.exe, which is the multi CPU kernel.

See the problem? Setup determines this information of what kernel to load from examining the BIOS hardware information, if I recall correctly.

So, by the above step, we tell it to load a standard hardware abstraction layer for the OS instead of ACPI , in hopes that it will load the correct kernel. BIOS issues are the most common for setup with XP.

I've also seen this issue with damaged media.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2003
  12. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

So the machine powers up but doesn't go beyind the BIOS screen. Try Adrynalyne suggestion first. You could examine the BIOS settings to see where your first boot device is and if this is the Hard Drive first, change to a removable media such as floppy or CD to boot from.

You should be able to do this by connecting the 80 gig drive as a secondary to the one on the other machine ensuring that the jumpers on the disk are correctly configured for a secondary disk device. Another Win XP should be able to read an NTFS disk.

13. DinoRoberts

DinoRoberts Private E-2

tried Adrynalyne's idea to no avail, when I press F5 it just goes black again and trys to restart.

Yes, I have it set to boot like this, floppy, cd, ide, have tried it few others ways just for the sake of trying something differnt but, it is still floppy, cd, ide.

Yes, I was thinking about pulling my second hd from my box and putting my wifes drive there, I just wanted to know, if anyone thought I could somehow hurt my computer by doing this, I don't want to have the same problem with my computer just by installing her hd. If that happend to mine too, I'd go stark raving mad I say, ouch.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate Everyones input, thanks.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Dino

14. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

So basically you're saying you cannot boot off from a floppy boot disk or CD when it is the first boot detectable device.

15. DinoRoberts

DinoRoberts Private E-2

yes, that is the problem, sorry , that is what I ment in my first post "I put my xp disk in and it won't let me reinstall either" but I think I wasn't clear enough, sorrr.

I think I am just totally screwed now huh? I've never encountered a problem like this, This one has me pulling out my hair for sure.

Peace and thanks for all suggestions I really appreciate your help, This is a great website and every time I have a prob with my box, everyone is very helpful. and open to help me. Thanks again.

==============

Dino

16. WobblesRArt

WobblesRArt MajorGeek

I have a Compaq, with a hard drive that they partition into two drives. One has FAT32 and the other has NTFS, and work fine. They labeled c, d,. And of course if your not sure, go ahead and back up your drive first, before the switch…wobbles

17. DinoRoberts

DinoRoberts Private E-2

Thanks for the help everyone, Think I'm gonna buy a new mb for this box ,,the hard drive is fine when put in another computer,, the memory was good, all my other stuff good, only thing cant' test is the MB Gotta find another mb is all. thanks for everything, really appreciated all your input.
    ==================
    Dino

18. DinoRoberts

DinoRoberts Private E-2

So we can consider this subject Closed

CLOSED +++++ CLOSED

19. swifty

swifty Private E-2

OK, I am having the same trouble as Dino is having but went alot further so much as to write 0's to the drive and even run a memory check a mother board check and a full HD check per qtech pro and seagate tools and every thing checks out fine, and it will not let me install 98, ME xp home, or xp pro!!
    So here goes (dont laugh cause this is old stuff but in cream of the crop condition) celeron 400mhz, 128 meg of pc100 memory ,20 gig seagate hard drive,32x cd (bought it today has a warrinty) floppy drive is good, and when it gets to kernel debugger it hangs. ive tried everything at the so called microsoft brain base and everything posted here, and nothing works, so if anyone can help please do if not its time to break out the .50 cal and see it i can still hit an old box at a mile LOL, serious though if ya can help please do..
    :eek:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds