McAfee Security Center

Discussion in 'Software' started by chukeej, Apr 30, 2007.

1. chukeej

chukeej Private E-2

My WinXP Home pc is pre-installed with a 30-day trial offer of McAfee Security Center. I do not want this program and wish to uninstall it completely. Each time I boot up it automatically loads McAfee.
    Add/Remove Programs only show "McAfee Uninstall Wizard".
    I'm a bit confused here, because if I chose "Change/Remove" will it "remove" the uninstall wizard and if so, how then can I Uninstall the program if it removes the uninstall wizard? Thanks for any help.

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

3. chukeej

chukeej Private E-2

Your advice was right on target. McAfee uninstalled. Thanks a lot.

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Good deal. :)

Steve

5. chukeej

chukeej Private E-2

confused A search for McAfee Security Center shows no files found (after I managed to uninstall the program using Add/Remove Programs and MCPR.exe).
    However in msconfig.exe Startup these items relating to McAfee are still listed and I cannot delete them (right clicking doesn't bring up any options)
    Mcwelcome/McAgent/McUpdate/Mpftray/MskAgent/Mskdetct/Mcvsshld/Mcmnhdlr.

BTW I have AOL 9.0 security version which includes McAfee - but I have no idea whether these files are associated with it, or if they're from the uninstalled McAfee Security Center.

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Did you run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool I listed above?

That should get most of the files.

Steve

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

OK. I see it now, you did run it. :eek:

Those are all Mcafee files listed. Run it again.

Steve

8. Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov Private E-2

I ran this tool yesterday on my father's computer--McAfee had expired and I set him up with a good freeware security suite (piecemeal).

After running the CPRT there were still registration entries left for McAfee in the registry. Could these remainders be causing those entries to still show up in his start-up list?

9. chukeej

chukeej Private E-2

I ran MCPR.exe again. The message I get is: "Incomplete cleanup. Error obtaining full permission for cleanup. Some products may not be fully removed". So why are these entries (as I listed previously) left behind and why can't they be removed if the program is now uninstalled? Any further suggestions? Thanks.

10. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Boot into safe mode (Administrator) and find and delete that programs files, they may be in Program Files, Common Files, or an Application Data folder. Or do a search (include hidden files and folders) for the individual files, they are probably all in the same folder. Seems you got the list, good job. If they won't delete in safe mode try changing their extension to .old or something else and delete them. Then there is Pocket KillBox, or they might just call it pillbox now, hope it doesn't come to that. I remember the days, hacking AOL 9.0 out after an "uninstall", it was like having a virus, that dug deep. Garbage In, Garbage Out. Our ISP offers McAfee free, although I have heard it called by other names. I have never used the program personally, but have used machines it was on. Lock and Load...
    :major:D:major
    Bug

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  11. chukeej

chukeej Private E-2

Thanks for all the help from everyone here. I have searched for the file names and "there are no files". How would I go about changing the extensions to .old? I cannot click on them (all listed in msconfig/startup - even though the program is uninstalled).
    As for AOL - that's another tale of woe I need some help with. I will kvetch about that in another post.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds