Argon PXE Boot Agent Removal Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gumby, Nov 24, 2004.

1. gumby

gumby Private E-2

Looking for help identifying and removing Argon PXE Boot Agent. I have a HP Pavillion ze4400 notebook, running windows xp. After a year of flawless operation, suddenly at boot up message screen shows system is looking for "Argon PXE Boot Agent ... " Have tried complete reformat using recovery disks and called HP tech support - who know nothing! System is not and never has been connected to a network, which my research shows that is what PXE is related to. At boot, it requires as many as 12 cycles of rebooting/restarting to finally boot to windows xp - or as few as 3 if I am lucky enough to hit f8 key at exactly correct moment to enable alternative boot mode. HELP! Any ideas?

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Hi gumby and welcome to MajorGeeks :)
    I don't normally browse the hardware section, but I found your request for help and noticed that no one had replied. So, I'll give it a shot, and if it doesn't work, at least you will be at the front of the forum, so others will view it.
    I did a Google search for the Argos PXE Boot Agent, and from what I read, please go into your bios and make sure that your boot order hasn't been changed. It seems that your computer is try to boot from a LAN. Change the boot order to boot from C: first, and disable booting from a LAN, and see if that corrects your problem.

3. gtts4u

gtts4u Private E-2

I just had the same problem! How did you fix it? I checked bios and the boot order is correct but I couldn't disable to start from LAN. I even reformatted hard drive. Please advise!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds