burned dvd reading as blank disc on xp

Discussion in 'Software' started by lonmower, Apr 3, 2011.

1. lonmower

lonmower Private E-2

I have a set of 4 dvd-r discs containing pdf files. I was told by the vender they were burned on discs from the same spindle, using the same process (a disc duplicator?) as some other discs which read fine. These come up as blank discs/raw on my xp/sp3 computer, but read fine on my sons macbook and another pc with vista. On those computers they show as being udf formatted discs, but I do not know which version. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what is different about these discs that prevent xp from recognizing them. Any ideas? Any way to copy or convert them to something readable?:confused

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

3. lonmower

lonmower Private E-2

I had already been through that page, and I agree that it may apply to my problem. But other than finding that the disc is udf (no version given) when I play it on other computers, I still do not know how to make it readable on xp. I believe with sp3 that I should be able to read 3 versions of udf. As I said earlier, I can read other discs with udf format, that came from the same vender. To date, he has not been able to tell me what software was used to burn the original discs, and I am thinking that may be my problem. Have searched everywhere for updates/addons/etc. that address this, without success. I know that probably isn't enough info to enable someone to come up with a solution here, but I'm pretty sure I am not experienced enough to solve it myself. Thanks for the response!

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What burning software is on the XP computer? What burning software is on the Vista computer?

I ask because I found this:
    The disadvantage of the UDF file system is compatibility. Most modern operating systems including Windows XP still do not read all UDF formatted disks. WindowsXP will read UDF disks burned by certain software, but not others.

5. lonmower

lonmower Private E-2

Finding out what software was used to create the discs is proving difficult. My xp computer has imgburn/deepburner//nero burnlite10/cdburnerxp. My sisters vista computer has nero7, I believe, and they read without any problem on her machine. My son has a macbook OSX that can also read the discs. The problem is there were other discs included in this package that I can read, and I was told they were all basically created the same way. I am starting to believe they were "copied" the same, but a different program was used to burn them originally. I will keep after the vender to try to find out what the software is. I assume if I have the same software installed, they will become readable discs?:confused

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Are these PDFs for reading only?

If so you could try burning a new disk not using UDF.

Get a few blank CD-R discs.
    On a computer that can read the discs make a new folder. Then copy all the PDFs from the CD into the folder. If the computer is a Windows computer you can use CDBurnerXP for the burning software. In the program choose to burn a data disc. Browse to your PDF folder in the top pane and drag the folder into the bottom pane. In the Disc menu at the top choose Set Disc Label and enter a short name for the disc. Hit the burn icon and be sure to choose to Finalize the disc when prompted.

See if you can read the disc on XP.

7. lonmower

lonmower Private E-2

I tried before to reburn them with the nero7 machine, but I am not too familiar with it and messed up. I will try it again as you suggest, first installing software I am familiar with. Thanks so much to all who responded! This is a great site, and has been on my favorites list for a while, usually as a download site. Never expected to have a problem, but who does? Thanks again

8. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

CDBurnerXP is good for data discs. I find it very reliable for burning discs that go from one computer to another. I like that it always prompts to Finalize which makes the discs more reliable over the long term.

I haven't used Nero for quite a while but Nero Express is fairly simple for burning data discs and usually provides a good burn.

I'd give CDBurnerXp a try--you can always uninstall when done if you don't want it on the Vista machine but it won't disturb anything being there.

Good Luck! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds