New Help returning files to reformated HD

Discussion in 'Software' started by mladyraven, Aug 24, 2011.

1. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

My old computer had a C and E drive. Most things downloaded to C and then I moved them to E. ( Long story)! Had to reformat due to virus. I moved everything from E to external HD. I did not know there was software to do this properly. So, I now have all my files, photo's , tele-seminars, downloads. real player downloads, other files on the external HD.

When I reformatted we only created a C drive this time. I was told the items from the HD have to go back to the C drive in the :right way: for the computer to work properly. Being I did not use software to move it, how do I know where to put everything, their are thumbnails and some system files.

Is there a software I can use to put the items from my external HD to my C drive or is their a link telling me the proper way to do it.

I would appreciate any assistance in this matter.

Right now I have everything working properly, even Malware Fighter and I have Chrome back working..

Thanks in advance for you help

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you have the programs installed that open these files and folders on the external hard drive, you should be able to move them back and take ownership to continue using them.
    This is for XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151
    I don't remember what version of windows you are running.

3. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

I don't have any programs installed that open these files, at least I don;t think I have any. My friend loaned me her XHD , then I got one for my BD and transferred the files from her HD to mine. Now I have no idea how to get them on to the right folders etc on my C Drive.
    I have a Dell Inspiron 531S
    Window XP Home SP3
    AMD Sempron LE 1300
    2.31 Gz 1.93 Gz Ram
    XHD 500 Gig Seagate Expansion USB 2.0 plug and play.

Is there a program I can download to put the file back on if I did not use one to take them off. There was a lot of extra stuff on the E drive, I tried to get rid of what I thought was not important.
    I have 55 Gig to put back on.
    Thanks!! :)

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You need to see the 3 letter extension on the files.
    For example, photos can be jpg, bmp, png and lots of other types.
    The free program, IrfanView http://majorgeeks.com/IrfanView_d4253.html can open most any photo and also allow you to edit it.
    Files that were created using something like MS Office, can be opened in a free Office program. Open Office, Libre Office and Softmaker (only 2008 version is free) are three such programs.

On the other hand, if you moved programs from C to E then to an external drive, they will not work. Programs need to be installed rather than moved.

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

One thought I have is if you were moving your files from C: to E: on your old computer for long term storage then it really shouldn't matter where you put them on your new C: drive.

Are these 55gb mostly photos, documents, movies and music? Then you can just copy them to any folders you like on the C: drive. How much free space do you have on C:?

6. pauliwood

pauliwood Private First Class

Like Sach said, if they are just "files", pictures, office documents (word and excel), music (mp3's) and Real Audio downloads, you can copy them back to any folder you designate them to.

If you moved the actual program to open these, such as Photoshop, Office, etc, then you will need to re-install the programs, once that is done, you will be able to open your files either by double clicking them or by opening them through their native program.

The one thing you may have to do, is set the default folder in the program if you want to click open in it's native program and see your files in lieu of browsing to the files location.

For non shareware programs like office and photoshop, you will need your cd key or registration code to activate.

Hope that helps.

7. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

Thanks, I have some questions about that program, but, will have to wait. My hardrive died a few weeks ago and I just got back online today. I am trying to set everything up the new hard drive. Thanks for all of your help. Once I have the new HD set up I will ask any questions I still have.

8. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

One Terabyte. I had to get a new hard drive my old one died. I am going to try to move the programs. Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds