failed reinstall of system restore

Discussion in 'Software' started by hzhzhz, Mar 19, 2009.

1. hzhzhz

hzhzhz Private E-2

i have run

rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\Windows\Inf\sr.inf

i pointed the browser to the
    C:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386

and then to the
    c:\windows\system32\restore

folder as instructed elsewhere.

and after my doing that, what used to be system restore is, as before i tried to reinstall it, nothing but a grey frame with nothing inside it except the title 'system restore' along the title bar.

so i think that those two files are perhaps corrupted. if this is the case, where is a reliable source for new ones?

i originally installed xp pro from an oem disk before the introduction of service packs, and have since upgraded to service pack 3

2. hzhzhz

hzhzhz Private E-2

thankyou very much for responding, but a lot of the advice from that document isn't applicable to my situation because it presupposes that the reader actually has a system restore interface to work from. as i said, mine is blank.

i'll try safe mode and report.

i'll also visit the umlaut (?) sysrestore forum that is mentioned and see what i can find there

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds