Need help with new Intel Mobo ASAP - SATA drive = E drive; need it to be C drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LABachlr, Jun 4, 2004.

1. LABachlr

LABachlr Private E-2

[font=Verdana, Arial]I am building a 3GHz system with the Intel D865PERL, and this is the first time that I have used SATA drives. Here is how it is setup:

Primary IDE Master: Plextor 8X DVD+/-RW
    Secondary IDE Master: Iomega Zip 250
    SATA Port 0: Maxtor 7200RPM 8MB SATA Drive
    SATA Port 1: Maxtor 7200RPM 8MB SATA Drive

When I was trying to install XP, when I created a partition on the Maxtor on SATA 0, it automatically named it Drive E. It is because of the two drives that I have on the Primary and Secondary IDE channels. So, how do I get it to name the drive C:? I checked the BIOS, but did not see a setting that would fix this issue.

UPDATE:

[/font][font=Verdana, Arial]I just tried to update the BIOS to see if that would help. I used the floppy disk version. When it was in the process of doing it, it said that it was copying a program, sw.exe, from the a: drive to the c: drive, but the c: drive is the DVD burner!

It did its thing, and then asked to have me remove the floppy disk from the drive and hit enter, and said NOT TO DO A THING until it had finished. Well, it has been about 10 minutes, and it is still just displaying a blinking cursor (blinking underscore) on a black screen. I hope this didn't hurt the mobo. I'm guessing that it did not complete the process because there was not a c: drive to write to.

I did look at Intel's site for some answers, and it said by default, booting from SATA drives is disabled in the BIOS. You have to change it. But it didn't tell how! It did say how to enable RAID, but I don't want that feature.

Here is the page I am referring to:

http://support.intel.com/support/mo...b/CS-010691.htm

Anyone have any ideas? Would appreciate any ASAP. Thanks.
    [/font]

2. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

SATA controllers are still fairly new, and a bit of an afterthought as far as Windows is concerned. Windows will always try to call the master drive on IDE 1 your "C" drive.

Easiest way to do it YOUR way is to simply disconnect any standard IDE drives before you install Windows. Windows will then accept your SATA as C, and keep the C designation even after you re-connect your IDE drives.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds