InstallShield Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by cipher4g, Aug 16, 2006.

1. cipher4g

cipher4g Private E-2

Recently I've been trying to install my iPod onto my computer, but whenever I insert the CD that came with it to install the iPod and iTunes, I get an error from Windows Installer: "Error -1607: Unable to Install InstallShield Scripting Run Time"

I tried the fixes available at Windows Support (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888019/en-us) and at InstallShield consumer central (http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108340), none of which have done anything to fix the problem. The ones at the InstallShield website did not work, and the ones at the Windows site were mainly inapplicable.

what should I do to fix this problem?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. TimW

4. cipher4g

cipher4g Private E-2

Well, I tried the directions on the newest post you suggested, which were mainly the same as the ones supplied by the install shield page I had visted before. I identified the necessary version as version 8, deleted the folder I was told to delete, and downloaded the ISScript8.zip file. When I unzipped it and tried to install it though, Windows did not recognize the .msi file extension, and when I tried to open it with Windows Installer, the reccomended program to open it with, I got this error message: "The Windoes Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

When I tried the Smarter Tools page, I tried to use the second fix (the first is the same as the consumer.installshield page). Unfortunately, when I checked the properties of the C:\Windows\Installer folder, there was no Security tab in the Properties window, so I could not finish the second fix.
    The third fix checked out as already in place, so that was not the problem. The fourth fix was not applicable, and as I have an XP machine, so was the fifth fix. When I tried the sixth fix, I opened the Computer Management dialog but found there was no Local Users and Groups tab underneath System tools. 7 & 8 were not applicable, and 9 was already set up as the fix suggested it to be.

Are there any other ways to fix this problem? Or do any of these facts suggest a different problem?

5. TimW

Start / run / type "sfc /scannow" without qoutes (note space) and have you xp disc ready ...

6. cipher4g

cipher4g Private E-2

I tried your most recent suggestion, but it merely opens up a command prompt window and then closes it before I have a chance to read it. What is the suggestion supposed to do anyway?

7. TimW

did you write it just like this in the run pane

sfc /scannow

space between c / ......?
    It should scan for windows files that are corrupt or missing ....and fix ...may have to run more than once.

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

I see that you have an xp machine.

What service pack level do ye have? Sp2? All updates?

You are saying that the provided MSI file does not install?

9. cipher4g

cipher4g Private E-2

well, to TimW, I did run the sfc /scannow and after a few attempts it worked. Unfortunately, even after it ran, the fix has not worked.

and to thefool, yes, I have XP SP2, with all the updates except for the newest set, as I can't install them without Windows Installer working. And yes, the provided MSI file does not install. When I try to open it the computer does not recognize the file type, and when I tell the computer to open it with Windows Installer, I get the same error message from before: "The Windoes Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

10. TimW

11. cipher4g

cipher4g Private E-2

I looked at the newest link you sent me. The first two fixes on that page were not applicable. I tried registering the msiexec.exe with the system, but I got this error message: "An event was unable to invoke any of the subscribers."

At this point, I cannot install or uninstall anything on my computer.

12. TimW

OK .....I'm a little confused ....me (not you) ...have to catch up ...you did the full stuff on the (http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108340)
    which was to clean temp folders and do the installer properties so that you (your account) had full permissions ..Install the Windows Installer engine on your computer to make sure that it is not corrupt and that it is properly registered on your computer. For more information, see How Do I Install the Windows Installer Engine on My Computer?
    Make sure to check the location from where the installation is being run. If the downloaded installation files are stored in a directory path that contains special characters, such as "&", "-", ".", etc, change the path to something that does not contain these characters.

Bad path: C:\downloads\Palm\palm desktop & hotsync\x\setup.exe

Good path: C:\downloads\Palm\palm desktop hotsync\x\setup.exe

You did all that ? and no go ....and you ran the sfc /scannow without success?

I'm thinking it's a driver issue ...clean out your temp files first off ...
    Let me get back to you ...

13. TimW

Did you do any updates prior to the problem? It could be one of the updates ....software or hardware? Check your add/remove for recent updates ....uninstall any one that was right before the problems .....or do a system restore ....then try the install (Ipod) again ....and does the install want the Ipod plugged in before / during / or after the software?

Also, maybe the Windows Installer service is disabled on the machine. From the Start menu select Run and type "services.msc". Double-click on the service named "Windows Installer". Check the value in the 'Startup type:' field. If it's currently set to "Disabled", then that is your problem. Change it by selecting "Manual" from the drop-down box.

and from Matacumbie;
    Go to the link below and scroll down to # 94 on the left-hand side (Windows Installer Fix) and run it. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  14. cipher4g

cipher4g Private E-2

okay, this is only to your first post, I haven't tried to go to a previous restore point. (I'd try to uninstall previous updates but I cannot install or uninstall anything.) I did clean the temp folders up, but I cannot modify the security settings on the Installer and Temp folders because when I open up the properties on them in Windows Explorer, there is no security tab (see attached pictures). Also, I could not follow the instructions on installing the Windows Installer Engine on my computer because it does not apply to XP machines. As far as the installation location goes, the path checks out as proper.

The only other thing I have to offer is that I installed the Windows Office 2007 beta some time before this problem started. Could these be related?

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds