Hosts File

Discussion in 'Software' started by iDeLine, Jun 27, 2006.

1. iDeLine

iDeLine Private E-2

Ok, I'm not usually one to ask for help, but I've searched everywhere and tried everything that has come to mind, but my problem is still not fixed.

I want to edit the "hosts" file in this directory.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\

I've tried replacing the hosts file with another hosts file and I get the access denied error. I also can't delete the hosts file, nor edit it with notepad. I tried deleting it, and replacing it with MoveOnBoot, but even that gets an access denied error. I turned off every program and then tried, but still no luck.

Can anybody help? I've searched around and it seems like everybody can replace and edit it perfectly fine except me for me.

2. iDeLine

iDeLine Private E-2

Yup, I am an admin. The file isn't checked under Read-Only either. The file is in a hidden folder/file however. So I had to check the "Show hidden files and folders" option.

3. demonix

demonix Private E-2

hmm... the only other problem that wouldn't allow you to replace/edit it that i can think of is that a program is using it when you try to change it... try closing as many programs as you can before changing it. although it could be that its not working because Windows is whats using it...

4. iDeLine

iDeLine Private E-2

I did check the security tab, it's set to "Full Control" and under groups or user names its set to "Everyone." I can't rename it either. It just gives me the same access is denied error. I'm on a stand alone network also. I tried deleting it through DOS mode today and I got another access is denied error

The program MoveOnBoot deletes the file when you restart your computer so it can be deleted before any other program uses it. I guess if windows is using it then it has no chance of deleting it. I've tried Hijack this, and Unlocker which both have the same feature... no luck :rolleyes: .

People usually edit the hosts file to change they're DNS record on they're computer. I've searched and haven't seen anybody have any problem with this file.... it's just very odd. I've ran into many errors for years, but this one I just can't fix for some odd reason.

5. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Do you have ZoneAlarm?

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds