I need a new wireless networksolution, cause dlink failed me.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geekahertz, Mar 18, 2010.

1. geekahertz

geekahertz Private E-2

I have two comps networked together can anyone suggest a good high speed router and network card that is reliable and easy to set up? I am going to have to reinstall windows on one of my computers and if i tried to use dlink it would be a pain. I am using the free copy of network magic that was on the driver cd so i don't rule that out as a problem but still dlink has not been good to me.

I also was hoping someone could suggest to me some other program besides network magic that i could use to network them together so they can share printers and transfer files and to secure my wireless network. I am looking for a freeware solution. But if that is not available then i will go out and buy one.

2. geekahertz

geekahertz Private E-2

Its been a while sinice i have had to re-install my wireless network so i dont remember all the details of it. It was annoying and their tech support was un-help full. I was hoping someone could recomend a good 3-rd party network app that would link both computers together and also keep the wireless network secure. Also if possible i was looking for a freeware version. The router is a dlink dir-655. I cant remember the model # of the card.

3. geekahertz

geekahertz Private E-2

ok i will try that when i get my new drive installed. I just orderd it from newegg today. Ty for your help. I hope that everything goes smoothly but its the first time i have tried to use windows own network apps and on top of that i am networking a windows xp machine with a vista machine. Maybe i am being a pessimist but i anticipate running into some problems.

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

5. geekahertz

geekahertz Private E-2

Update: the hard drives installed. But heres the probelm.
    I have 2 comps the one that is directly connected to the internet is working fine but the comp that i just installed a new hard drive in and got everything installed in refuses to detect any networks with the network card. I took that comp and hooked it up directly to the internet so it could download all the drivers and updates it needed cause its has windows vista on it and that will automaticly download all the stuff i need. So my question is how do i troubleshoot its failure to detect any networks? I have tried to follow the directions on the pages that were posted here but i still am at a loss. Also i am connecting 2 computers with 2 different versions of windows. The one that's directly connected to the internet is a windows xp machine. The other one which i just got the new hard drive is windows vista. It is also the one that wont detect any networks. Idk if that makes any difference.

6. geekahertz

geekahertz Private E-2

Device manager shows the network adaptor. So what sort of issues should i be looking for?

I tried typing ipconfig into the run function and a dos window popped up. But it was too fast to read. Was it supposed to create a log file somewhere on my comp and if so where? I also found something else out. I tried to use the install disk to see if i could not jump start the adaptor but when it was finished installing the dlink net connection utility it said it could not detect the adaptor and this is even though i can see the adaptor in device manager.

7. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Start>Run>then type command a dos window will open. At the prompt type ipconfig

8. geekahertz

geekahertz Private E-2

ok heres what i get when i type ipconfig/all.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Borg
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.ct.comcast.net.
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ether
    net Controller #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-8C-52-84-E3
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ether
    net Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-8C-52-84-E4
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

This is my windows vista machine with a dlink dwa-552 xtreame n desktop adaptor.

9. geekahertz

geekahertz Private E-2

I did that exactly. But that is what i get.

The xp machine is the one that is connected to the wireless router which in turn is connected to the cable modem. The vista machine is the one with the network adaptor card that refuses to work.

I have admin privlages on the vista machine cause i own it and i am the only user. But i tried this anyway to see if it would make a difference and it shows exactly the same.

There is not but the 6t04 adaptor shows a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it.

In order to post any screen shots i would have to move the comp from its location upstairs and accross the house and hook it directly up to the cable modem.because i can not find my thumb drive. I will do that if you think it becomes necessary.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds