Avira Product Update

Discussion in 'Software' started by linuxpowers, Oct 17, 2011.

1. linuxpowers

linuxpowers Corporal

OK...I'm running Windows XP with Comodo for my Firewall and Avira as my malware protection. I noticed a pop up stating that Avira has a new version so I started Avira and tried to do a "product update".

To make a long story short, I went to MG and downloaded the new version from there to my desktop. I started the update process but the first window that came up was, "Avira has identified potential incompatible software on your computer"

I looked at the list of products that Avira says I must uninstall manually and found:
    • Comodo Antivirus
    • Comodo Firewall
    • Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5
    First of all, I never used Comodo's Antivirus...only as a Firewall. Secondly, I don't, or should I say, haven't used Spybot in years. As a matter of fact, I tried to uninstall it from my control panel -->add or remove programs a while back and windows tells me the setup files are corrupted and that I must get a new copy first.

So, I suppose my questions are, do I really need to install spybot again just to get rid of it and, do I need to uninstall Comodo?

2. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Its probably registry entries. If spybot didnt uninstall properly it may have some remnance left which Avira is finding. Im not sure why you would have to manually install the update. It should propogate through the auto updates.

Personally I use MSE as it doesnt have the anoying pop ups that Avira had.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds