New n00b that has some inquiries

Discussion in 'Software' started by Lokin, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Lokin

Lokin Private E-2

Hi, I've randomly stumbled upon this website while using a search engine to find out what's the best Defragment Software out there. I'm a total noob in computing but I know some very few basic tricks. I hope that I can learn a lot more from here because I want to become a programmer(or something like a technician). Don't expect much from me since I've...never done any computer courses before and didn't accomplished any high level education yet (only got out of highschool a few months ago ^^; )

I'll apologize for my discourtesy and my useless ramblings in advance(beware of the tl;dr).

Okay I was going to ask in this thread why my PC's fonts are blue but I soon found my answer while googling---it was something called the NTFS compression.

I know that it's for making the files taking less space, if so, then it's supposed to be good, right? But then I also wondered about the downsides about it.... ...would it be worth it to convert all of my NTFS disks into the compressed mode?

Okay so here's my situation:

My C disk has only has 45GB in space, and the other storage disks only have 150GB in total. My disks are very,VERY quickly filled up as I have the \ hobby of going on everywhere to download and tests new programs (and no they're not illegal---there's only free versions and some trial versions ).*Around 100GB was consumed in 2 weeks*
    Hopefully, my 1TB removable HD order came around 5 days ago so I've moved 95% of the things from here to there.

CPU:1.67GHz
    RAM:0.99GB
    XP Ver.2002 Service Pack 3
    Intel Atom

Since I always download and move things around... ...I actively run disk cleanups, registry repairs and disfragmenters at least...once per day (sometimes I run more than 3 times per day because I always have the need to move my downloaded files to my removable HD).

Sooo.... I hope you get the image;
    Okay and here are the sets of questions:

Is converting HD into NTFS is good based on the situation I have? Or would it only take up more space and lags the system down?

And also, will my computer be faster if I used more pagefiles in order to fill up with my system's lack of RAM?(I currently have 2GB-4GB of pagefiles in an empty harddrive; it has nothing in there except for PF)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay this is totally unrelated to the above but it's been weeks since I've been wondering about it:

BTW anyone know how to set up multiple proxies at the same time?
    I'm a total noob and only know how to set up one at once, but I got my list on a proxy list via some sort of proxy website(I think that it was something like a txt file) and I wondered if I could use...some sort of magic trick in order to get my browser to switch proxies like...automatically via a generated list (it would be better if it was an offline software than an online one; I've used the SwitchyProxy in Chrome and I had to add the proxies manually, which literally took me over an hour because I had a list of around 100 proxies)...isn't there any other ways to do things easier?

Sadly, neither Tor and VPN doesn't work for me because I'm using the school's server to connect to internet (the connections never worked)...

And yes, I'M IN AN EMERGENCY of NEED to switch proxies around (and lots of them, and I need this fast) ...because I'm currently studying in China and uhh...the GFW is very quick responding when I'm using proxies. For example: I tried signing up for governmentsecurity.org and other forums and the captcha just wouldn't load(I assume that it's because it's a Google captcha thus it was blocked), so I tried using a webproxy to get past this but after it loaded it got blocked like...10 minutes later!? To add to the inconvenience, they're super slow.

I assume that the only way I can get my freedom around the web is switching proxies around.(and while you have time, please explain to me how HTTP and SOCKS work; cuz I can't decipher the differences)

I think that I'm VERY lucky to find a technical forums here that doesn't use...captchas (otherwise I would never be here). But yeah I need to signup for governmentsecurity.org because I want to learn programming ><!

Unless you have a bridge to recommend to me but hey, these get blocked fast by the GFW unless they're private~(and I hope that this site doesn't get blocked like 2 weeks later I got on... ...)

2. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

You say you like to download and try new and different software. That's cool, just make sure you DL from a site that tests the software for problems and authenticity. A site that has all the major, and most of the minor, software one would ever need. A site that has ratings for the software to give you an idea what other geeks think of it.

Where to find such a site...

Oh, yeah! Here: http://majorgeeks.com/

3. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

What is your file system now - FAT32? In that case converting to NTFS is a good idea. NTFS is much more robust than FAT; it can also handle much larger disk capacity.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds