windows updates......need help

Discussion in 'Software' started by cowboyfan28, Jun 23, 2006.

1. cowboyfan28

cowboyfan28 Private E-2

I have a dell inspiron 9300 laptop with xp media center service pack 2. I cant get updates from microsofts web page I get this message: "Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer"
    I think it could be some active x issues. I have no idea how to fix it. Can anyone help??????:eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer.<<

This is a very "common" Windows Update error and hopefully the following steps will help you to resolve this problem that you are having. Basically, you will need to re-register the Windows Update DLLs with the commands which are listed below...

(1) Click Start menu, and then click the Run icon.
    (2) In the small box that opens, type the three letters: cmd
    (3) Then click the OK button.
    (4) In the command prompt window that just opened (which has a black background and white text), type the following commands, pressing the ENTER key on your keyboard afterwards:

regsvr32 msxml3.dll
    regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wups2.dll
    regsvr32 wuweb.dll
    regsvr32 qmgr.dll
    regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll
    regsvr32 jscript.dll

Important Note: Don’t forget to put a ‘space’ after each regsvr32 as well as a period (.) before each dll entry.

(5) Reboot the computer. Occasionally, after these steps you need to reboot the computer; but for some reason; fails to inform the user to reboot. Therefore reboot your machine just in case.

(6) Finally try Windows Update again. Additionally, when you go to Windows Update you will likely be prompted to validate your XP.

Good Luck!

3. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Welcome to Major Geeks cowboyfan28, just is case compuables sage advice does not do the trick(which it should), it maybe that you have chosen another browser as your default browser and MS Windows will not update except on its own OE. Hope that helps and agin welcome to the Geek Jungle

4. cowboyfan28

cowboyfan28 Private E-2

Thanks a lot guys it worked like a charm. I was lost on this one. :) :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds