dvd drive drivers not installed error 39

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by drgrim, Aug 8, 2007.

1. drgrim

drgrim Private First Class

Hi. I recently had problems with malware (major problems) which was sorted with your help but i noticed the other day that the dvd drive no longer works since I got rid of the malware. When I went to device mANAGER to check out the problem I have the message "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" . I tried reinstalling the drives but windows cant find another driver even when connecting to windows update.The drive is a MATSHITA UJ-840D and im having no luck seaching the internet for drivers for it either. The system is a Acer Aspire 1640 noebook running winxp pro sp2, 1.73GHz, 256 mb ram.
    Any ideas??:cry

2. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Before going off to extreme, I would suggest you try this basic workaround to see if it helped:

Remove(uninstall) the drive in question from the Device Manager, then reboot the system without doing anything else. Let Windows detect and re-install its drivers.

~TL :cool

3. drgrim

Yeah,,,did try that at the start but it came up with a set of drivers that are incomplete or corrupt...installs the drive then gives me the same error.

4. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

The drivers are the default Windows drivers so if they are coming up as incompatible or faulty, then your system files must be messed up.

Have you tried this:
    yet?
    This could straighten up the corrupt or overwritten system files be replacing them with the originals from the CD.

Also make sure you get rid of whatever you manually installed (if at all possible).
    Once done, try the same thing again.
    I am not sure if it would be worth trying but another thing you could try is the driver rollback (in Device Manager, double-click on the Drive, click on Driver tab and click on Roll Back Driver button).

5. drgrim

am not familiar with sfc/scannow. Tried typing it in but windows couldnt find it. Also have tried rolling back the drivers but system restore was turned off when we were dealing with the malware problems so lost all the backups to restore from.
    Any more ideas?

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You two are heading in the wrong direction to fix this.

Try here.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

In a jist, your CD/DVD writing software has broken or is incompatible, and the third party drivers are keeping the drive from functioning under Windows.

7. freeheelz

freeheelz Private E-2

Thank you Adrynalyne!! I suffered the same problem and that MS article had the right fix!!

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Good to hear :)

Maybe we can get two birds with one stone here :D

9. drgrim

WHOOHOO!!...Yep...that fixed it! Thanks a heap!!! AGAIN! Dont know what I'd do wothout Major Geeks!! If nothing else youre all teaching me a lot.
    Cheers!!

10. Tsavu8

Tsavu8 Private E-2

Thank you Adrenalyne

The advice sorted it out first time!!!! :)

Tsavu8

11. john0109

john0109 Private E-2

I have the same problem. Both CD and DVD drives are missing. I got Error Code 39. Tried the MS fix (method 2 - manually removed UpperFilters and LowerFilters.
    Unfortunately this fix did not work for me. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
    john0109

12. sandiemufc

sandiemufc Private E-2

Hi All,
    Will this work if I am running Windows Vista Home Premium or just a fix for XP?

13. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

This is an XP fix, as stated at the top of the page Adrynalyne linked to.

@Sandiemufc and john0109...please start a new thread for your issues. Hijacking another person's thread only confuses things, especially when the fix given for the Original Poster has not resolved your issue. The problems may appear the same, but the solutions may not be.

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It will work for Vista too, although Microsoft has not stated it yet.

15. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Thanks for the update Adrynalyne :)

16. sandiemufc

sandiemufc Private E-2

Hello, very sorry for hijacking the thread. But just wanted to let everyone know it DOES work for Vista!
    Thanks to you all,
    Sandie x:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds