ccleaner

Discussion in 'Software' started by bwb-tx, Jan 6, 2008.

1. bwb-tx

bwb-tx Private E-2

After running ccleaner my bank doesn't recognize my computer. Is there a box I can uncheck in ccleaner to avoid this.
    Thanks and God Bless
    Bruce

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If you are meaning autosign ( where you have to retype user and password ) in for your bank then its likely that the cookie set for the bank is by default removed when you run CCleaners Cleaner, but you can protect this cookie via going to Options > Cookies > look down the left list and find your Banks Cookie and use the -> to add it to the protected ( cookies to keep list )

You can do this with other cookies.

If you connect to your bank in a different way to logging in to an online page, please advise to what method is used.

3. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

On this subject (I hope I'm not hijacking this thread), is there a way to prevent CCleaner from deleting pass words from sites.

4. DavidGP

Hi Jud,

Yes see my post above as you will have to protect the cookie for that site.

5. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Sorry, I didn't read your post thoroughly. Is there a downside to doing this as opposed to reentering password data? Thanks, Halo. :)

6. DavidGP

Hi Jud,

No probs, the downsides are possibles in if PC is a shared one, then whoever uses the PC can automatically connect to your websites, banking etc easily, they could also impersonate you and post nasty comments ( seen this before )

Possible that malware could grab your cookies and then have your user password.

My personal option is that I prefer to re-type user password as it then is standard practice ingrained in me, also including logging off if not on home PC or have laptop in work.

7. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Good enough for me, Halo; many thanks! :wave

8. bwb-tx

bwb-tx Private E-2

No it's not the log in, the site makes you use you hint questions as it does not recognize my computer.
    Thanks Bruce

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What does the error say?
    Is it asking you to answer questions and when you do, gives an error?
    I run CCleaner, do not save cookies and passwords and have no trouble at my bank site. (I also use FF but I know some sites may require the use of IE).

10. bwb-tx

bwb-tx Private E-2

No error mess. just makes you answer test questions before you can log in, once you do then everythings good until next time I run ccleaner.
    Thanks Bruce

11. BeenThereDoneThat

BeenThereDoneThat Private E-2

Bruce,

You need to do what was stated in Post N°2. The information so that your bank can recognize your computer is stored in the cookies. That is why once you have answered the questions everything is alright until you run Ccleaner, because it is deleteing the cookies.

If you follow the instructions as outlined by Halo in Post N°2 you will not have this problem anymore. I have the same thing with my computer, so I know Halo is giving you the right advice to solve this problem.

Have a good day and hope that this helpls

12. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

I never have been asked for any hint questions, etc., on any of the sites I visit that require a password including Major Geeks. I use Firefox and all I need to do is type the first letter of my user name and I'm provide the rest of my user name and password to input as an option. :)

13. bwb-tx

bwb-tx Private E-2

Thanks for the info I unchecked both cookie boxes FF and IE.
    Thanks again
    Bruce

14. rkj606

rkj606 Private E-2

Hello,
    I did the dl for ccleaner this morning and have the same problem, can you in layman speak tell me what to do please? I am also old lol
    I copy and paste the url to my bank and receive the "IE cannot display the web page". I went to options, cookies and the url is not listed for me to add. I type URL and same thing
    Thanks
    Robin

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  15. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

rkj606, welcome to MajorGeeks. Please start here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21 and click the New Thread button near the top left.
    The Major prefers everyone has his/her own problem thread and not tack a problem unto someone else's thread.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds