sound doesn't work =[

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by animeniac101, Oct 2, 2008.

1. animeniac101

animeniac101 Private E-2

i have a really weird problem with my sound
    my headphone jack is messed up (jammed into the laptop), but i dont think this is the problem

i have a HP Pavilon dv5000
    my sound was working fine until i accidentally pressed something on my laptop. i think it was the quickplay function button. after that none of my sound through speakers or headphones worked.

i turned off my laptop and turned it on again, but it didnt work. i looked at the sound settings and nothing seemed to be wrong, but the sound still didnt work.
    so i turned it off again and turned on the computer using quickplay direct. quickplay direct just opens of the media center of the computer without opening windows. i played music through it and the sound worked. however when i started windows (xp) again, the sound didnt work.

i repeated this several times and cant figure how to fix it. someone please help me!!!

2. colonna_66

colonna_66 Private E-2

Did you check the device manager to make sure that the sound card isn't disabled?

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Check the manual to see what keys mute the sound and lower the sound. You might have done either of these.

4. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Anim,

Usually, maybe always, the audio output jack contains a switch that switches the audio from the jack to the internal speakers. When broken there is a very good chance that that switch is intermittently open thus, no sound to the speakers. Try shaking the machine. If sound comes in intermittently that's the problem and the jack will need replacing. I have repaired many jacks, but never tried to buy a new one. My spare parts bins contain several but, never one that will fit.

Good Luck, Jim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds