Emails look like spam to some spam software

Discussion in 'Software' started by bullfrog, Jun 17, 2006.

1. bullfrog

bullfrog Private E-2

My emails look like spam to some spam detection software. They are not spam. The problem appears to be coming from this line in the email header:

Received: from jbx241yz (failure[71.194.179.15])
    by comcast.net (rwcrmhc12) with SMTP

jbx241yz is the name of my computer. I am using a Comcast cable modem to a NETGEAR wireless router to my desktop Gateway computer. NETGEAR says it is not caused by them. Comcast says it is not caused by them. My email ISP server had whitelisted me so my email can get delivered within their system. I am part-time university faculty and one of my students is getting a spam flag on my emails.

The NETGEAR guy said there must be client-server software running on my computer. I can't see what it might be. I was using McAfee virus and firewall. Gave it up for AVG. That changed the header to what you see now. With McAfee, after jbx241yz it said "Server unknown"

Any help is much appreciated.

2. infoseeker

infoseeker Master Sergeant

what anti-spam software are you using?

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Is the email address you use for that student a school-issued email address or a private email account? Does that student use some type of spam filtering offered by his/her ISP? With my Earthlink account, I can logon on to my email account, enable their spamBlocker, and choose among three levels of blocking. At the highest level, initial messages from ALL senders are blocked and will continue to be blocked until I logon and add them to my online/Earthlink address book.

4. bullfrog

bullfrog Private E-2

Thanks. I don't use a spam software.

5. bullfrog

bullfrog Private E-2

usafveteran, thanks. I understand what you are asking and that is a good point. I will ask the student about it. Meanwhile, the spam measuring criteria on my ISP's mail spam software gives like a 5 when the server is not identified, and then other items with varying weights are additive. My emails to persons within the ISP's accounts rate something just over 6 which is the limit at which the decision tree rates my email as spam.

So that's why I am focused on trying to find out what is making my computer look like a server.
    Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds