Computer not reading cd's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eggamagga, Dec 26, 2006.

1. eggamagga

eggamagga Private E-2

Hey all. I just got a new gateway computer with a dvd/cd drive and it worked fine for a while. But now the computer see's the drive, but will not read any cd's or dvd's. All I'm getting when I insert any disk is the drive information itself. I've tried re-connecting the cables, and even disabled my firewall real quick to try, but nothing changed. I have a windows xp media edition platform and a gt5228 computer. Thank you for any help you can give.

2. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

Try cleaning the lens

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

If it's new, I'd just call them and let them send you a new drive. They'll probably walk you through a few software checks first. Don't take the drive apart before calling. My opinion, anyway.

4. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

Before your problems started did you update anything, if you did rollback to the previous version and see if that helps.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds