ACER ASPIRE 5100 CRASHED! Help please

Discussion in 'Software' started by syscrash, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syscrash

syscrash Private E-2

Hi, I'm syscrash.........

I use an ACER Aspire 5100 laptop and few weeks ago it started turning off by itself........... Cleaned/cleared the fan...... still continued.

Then started getting this RTL 8139 (x)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.13 (020326)
    PXE-E61 Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-MOF exiting PXE Rom flashing repeatedly on a dark screen.

It won't allow me to do a system restore...........??

I ran the back-up CD's yesterday.worked GREAT! most the day.....

Then it turned itself off again, came back on with the following message..

NTLDR Missing...........

After several attempts with ctrl+alt+del eventually it accepted my alt+F10, when I attempted a backup to factory setting I receieved this message

Restore Failed Oxf0000025 ...

Now all my acer will do is come on with dark screen saying NTLDR Missing.

Help please........... If anyone is willing to help me with this, I'm tremendouly greatful and appreciate yoru time, & effort.

cuz looks like i need lots of help with this, and don't even know what to do, or what I can download for it...??

Thank you very much,

sys-crash

2. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

Welcome to MajorGeeks,

Please post the exact Error if you get it again "Restore Failed Oxf0000025 ..." is not it.

But try this again, remove the CD and any flash or external drive you might have plugged in prior to rebooting to get to the splash screen.

First try option 1. if that fails; reboot and try 3. but wait for it to ask for the CD. I have a 5100 but haven't crashed, so not tested.

Did you go into F2 and change Boot order? Did you reformat the HD prior to this? What Operating System?

Re the pc turning itself off, after you get your Recovery sorted out, I would install Everest and check the temp. http://www.majorgeeks.com/EVEREST_Free_Edition_d4181.html you have some type of hardware problem I think. Your HD might not be set snug enough, fan going or half a dozen other things possible.

Also, if you get it running backup anything you want to something external ASAP.

3. bamaboy

bamaboy Private E-2

Sounds like ntldr is a driver that you dont have. Have you tried to restore with your system reboot disk? If not, I would try that first then go further.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

bamaboy, the OP was looking for help in May 2008. I suspect in 8 months he has either found a solution or is using a different computer.

5. syscrash

syscrash Private E-2

hey, I appreciate your response...........

regarding restore.......... I don't have a disc, and I did attempt to do a system restore, to no avail..............

I was informed the main board needs to be replaced........? and then somebody else who also looked at it said the hard drive needs replaced....??

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated............

I really would like to get this fixed- if possible.

Thanks

6. syscrash

syscrash Private E-2

Hi again- I just seen the response from Cat 9 lives..............for the first time. Sorry for not getting back here sooner....... For awhile I didn't think anybody was going to reply..............???

anyways, I still want/need my Acer fixed......... and yeppers, I'am using another computer, but its not a laptop...... funds don't allow me to purchase another laptop, so I need to see if I can fix this Acer myself.......

I'll locate the cord for it tomorrow and post the precise error it gives me...............

Thanks-

7. bamaboy

bamaboy Private E-2

Understand the funds availibility. I had the same problem on a dell laptop. I found a place in Huntsville,Alabama called DTM Computers 256-533-5111 that I bought a hard drive for $65.00. And yes it was new. Maybe you can give them a call.

8. syscrash

syscrash Private E-2

good morning bamaboy----

I certainly appreciate you supplying the phone number for that place.yet I want to make certain it is the hard drive before I make purchase.

Is there a certain way of testing a hard drive to make certain?

thank you for your response...........

syscrash- acer style

9. bamaboy

bamaboy Private E-2

Well the way I found my hard drive was bad is each time I rebooted it got slower and slower each time and not only that but it will get louder "sounding like metal grinding" if you know what I mean. What a hard drive contains inside is a disc that runs very high rpms. If you will remember back when you got the computer it was almost silent. When they get a bad virus it will embed itself into the hard drive each time it is booted up. Sometimes they will show up right away sometimes way down the road. Hope this helps.

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows version are you using (repeat of Cats question)?

For giving the HD a test you can use both of these methods HD Tune and click Error Scan and Start (dont choose quick scan) and it may take a few hours to scan the whole HD, green is good and red is bad blocks.

or from a CMD prompt run chkdsk [drive letter] : /r so if your OS is on C: it would be chkdsk c: /r

11. Cedreca

Cedreca Private E-2

My sons Acer just crashed recently loading it again is a beast. I had to load xp then go to microsoft with a lan connection (wireless does not work till vista is installed) load the service packs as well as the vista upgrade recomendation software. Then after it supplied what I was missing I loaded vista found majority of the drivers (wireless and ehternet and video) because the drivers will not work properly till vista is loaded. Then I was able to come to major geeks to get missing called cardbus.ene that took care of the missing PCI drivers. Vista has the majority of the drivers needed for the thing to work.

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Cedreca, please post your problem in a new thread.
    Start here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21
    and click the new thread button and paste your post above.
    It isn't polite to tack your problem on to someone else's thread, even if it is the same problem; this is seen as hijacking the thread.
    It also isn't good to dig up an old thread unless you have a solution to offer.

13. bad guy519

bad guy519 Private E-2

I have been following a issue like this with my $1400 POS Acer 5100 aswell. I found a fix posted DEEP into a google search. This was the first thread that came up with a search... so I saw it fit to reply.

The issue is a loose componet on your mother board.... its quite common. It was a issue caused my humidity at the plant. The boards were flexing before they were soldered in place. and a number of pads around this spot on the motherboard are lifting off. You don't have to believe me, try it for yourself. Just before booting, take your two thumbs, and press down side by side, about 2 inches from the top left side of your mouse pad, press firmly, bare in mind you are trying to connect a solder pad to the mother board. Now fire up your computer. I am currently using a 3" c- clamp on that spot to hold it in place. you might have to do some trial and error to find it.

Its taken me two years almost to finally make this work. The pile of crap is pretty out of date, but as a starving student you take what you get.
    If you need a pic emailed to you, you are welcome to email me at <snip> I have a picture of my EXTREMELY ghetto set up.
    I won't be back here again... so if any moderators want tp email me for the picture, I would LOVE for it to be posted on the WWW for the guys at Acer to see. I saved for a whole year for this pile of crap. Frustrating that I had to go through all this for a fix.

Good luck!!

BG519

14. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Eight month old thread that may or may not still have the OP here. Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds