Google (Search) Lettin' Me Down : (

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by grc123, Jun 29, 2012.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I mentioned on Facebook that I didn't know how to make "musical notes/symbols" appear in my comments, so a friend says:

"I Googled it. Alt 13 for single note. Alt 14 for double note. Doesn't work on a Mac though."

Then she proceeds to inform me:

"♪ ♫ Is your "function" key on lock?" (I cop pasted the symbols here..."IF" they happen to show-up)...

I have NO CLUE what a "function" key lock is . . . anyone know? I've tried "Scroll Lock", "Caps Lock", etc., and finding nothing in a search... :(

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

pushing and holding alt then using the number pad to do 13 gives me = ♪
    pushing and holding alt then using the pad to do 14 gives me = ♫
    If your on a laptop you might have to activate the number pad section using fn key, but as i recall your using a desktop? If so just use the number pad on your keyboard and ignore the function lock part.

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

♫ OHHHHH it's the "pad"!! I was using the numbers across the top (as I usually do) - THANKS!!! ♪

4. oma

oma MajorGeek

5. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Those are ASCII codes (American Standard Code for Information Interchange).

ASCII Codes and characters

6. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Thank you thank you! I've been meaning to look this up. I've been lazy and copying/pasting on my laptop because I just don't use it enough at home. When I write something in another language it makes me crazy. Also very handy when complaining about the crazy weather here and I'm the dork who can't use the º sign from her laptop. Took me a minute to work out that it's Fn-Alt-jo7 even with the heads up.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds