Missing system .dll file, reinstall help?

Discussion in 'Software' started by tennisnerd37, Apr 4, 2005.

1. tennisnerd37

tennisnerd37 Private E-2

Woke up this morning to my computer telling me that "Windows could not start because file is missing or corrupt <windows root>/system32.hal.dll."
    Where could I find this file and how do I install it back onto my computer? I run Windows XP. Thanks.

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Your Boot.ini file is corrupt. There are a couple of ways to do this and not every method works for everyone.

Set the Bios to boot from CD, put the CD in the drive and reboot.

When you receive the message to press R to repair Windows by using the Recovery Console, press the R key.

Select the Windows installation that you want, and then type the administrator password when prompted. If you don't have one just press enter.

Type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER.

When the Windows installation is located, the following instructions are displayed:

Add installation to boot list (Yes/No/All)
    [Type Y in response to this message.]

Enter Load Identifier:
    [This is the name of the operating system. Type Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition.]

Enter OS Load options:
    [Leave this field blank, and then press ENTER].

Restart the computer, and then select the first item on the boot menu. This should allow Windows XP to start normally.

After Windows has successfully loaded, the Boot.ini file may have to be modified to remove the incorrect entry.

Details on how to do that are HERE.

The above is the most likely of success in my experience.

HERE is another possible solution.

3. tennisnerd37

tennisnerd37 Private E-2

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply. I'm sure with this information I'll be able to fix my problem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds