wireless not working, AFD issues, no alpha entries allowed for Netgear

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jdoginc, Apr 25, 2012.

1. jdoginc

jdoginc Private E-2

This has been going for almost two months now, giving up. I ran mbam for the heck of it and found no threats, after that, no internet. Acquiring ip address forever. Used SAS to try to repair winsock lp chain, no luck. Traced dependency, AFD is not functioning. (Whatever that is). Bought new netgear wndr4500, no luck. Ran read and run me, no threats. I might actually have internet, but now when it takes me to setup, I can not type in alpha values (letters), only numbers. I know the router works, my xbox is using the wireless and my cousin is using wired. Something, with little pull down boxes, (drivers maybe) had an x, not a checkmark, having to do with wireless, I put in my installation disc..no joy. I need help, thank you.

Dell vostro 1500, sp3, xp pro, intel PROset wireless

2. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

two ways to connect.

The repair:

go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt - right-click this and select Run As
    Login as the administrator
    use the command > net start afd (press enter)
    chances are good that it will fail but we needed to check
    use the command > sfc /scannow
    with any luck it will repair itself.

mbam has an archive, you can undo anything it does. If this doesn't work, you can try rolling back.

There is also a work around. You assign a static IP and it will work fine.

I have 2 of the same laptops in my fleet and had one on static for a year until I finally got annoyed and fixed it. It's been a long time, I don't recall what it was exactly, just that it was minor but decently hidden. It wasn't mbam that did it to me, it was an update.

3. jdoginc

jdoginc Private E-2

Thank you very much for your reply. I ran the net start, it says it was already started, then I ran the sfc and it asked for the xp pro cd, I did, it ran a windows file protection, took forever, ended. I exited from cmd and tried the net. Still won't let me type letters in the password blank. Can't find the option for rolling back on my mbam. Gonna try static ip, but don't think ill be able to without typing letters in my password blank.

4. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

What encryption type is the router set for? What wireless card does the laptop have?

You ran the net start afd command and it says it is already running? Then it is not failing any longer but it may not be reporting properly. Can you check in the services again and see if dhcp is still stopped? If it is stopped, see if it will start or what it says is failing now please.

5. jdoginc

jdoginc Private E-2

Encryption: wpa wpa2 psk. I plugged in the router and the password was given to me on the box. Wireless card is well, I think I'm looking at the correct thing: intel pro/wireless 3945ABG. Dhcp is running. Or at least started. And I don't know what afd is and see no entry in services. My wirelss zero configuration wasn't running, so I started that. There are two odd entries, in lower case, (unlike all others) wscsvc, no description and when looking at properties, "configuration manager: the specified device instance handle does not correspond to a present device." Not sure if that is significant. Lol, help! I appreciate your doing so thus far. :)

6. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

I asked you which wireless card because there was an option for the 1505 card on that vostro and it only wants to connect to WEP.

I would have to work on what having an issue and not allowing alpha input. There are hex types that are numeric only and very long that are used for passwords, but I don't recall which is which by heart. If the computer thinks it is one of those, it would block alpha input. Can you temp change the encryption type on the router? Can you set it to WEP just for today so we can tell if everything else is working? WEP isn't very secure but it will keep very casual users from just using your wireless for today. If you switch to WEP and are then able to enter alpha and numeric, it will narrow it down a little.

7. jdoginc

jdoginc Private E-2

All options are wpa (three forms of it). So I just turned off security, I trust my neighbors :) it still won't let me type letters. It does not ask for password when connecting with phone. But still does with laptop. Am I missing something right in front of my face? Why is it still asking for a password? "Wi-Fi Protected Setup Wizard" is asking for the device ownership password.

8. jdoginc

jdoginc Private E-2

OK, prepare to have your brain melted by my confusing jumble of sentences. I turned off all security on the wireless. The ownership password it kept asking for was the router PIN. Which, is numerical. I have never had to enter the ownership password (PIN) before, even with my old linksys. SO i put it in, it then asked me if I wanted to reconfigure the device that was already configured i did. Now, I cant access my netgear12 with my computer, but I can do my NETGEAR12-5G with my laptop, but doesnt show up on either cell. 12 and 12-5G are from same router. I guess you helped fix my problem and I appreciate it very much. I guess I am into the IT portion of using a freaking router. If you feel that we are past your jurisdiction...however, if you feel that you would like to shed some light on my ignorance of routers, i would appreciate it. thank you again!! I REALLY NEEDED IT

9. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Oh my. Had it been asking for a password to "Wi-Fi Protected Setup Wizard" the entire time? You said yes to reconfiguring your device?

If there is a device that gets out to the internet via the router, then the settings for the ISP are not lost. Best to back out and let's get the router set back to where it needs to be. If the ISP side still functions and only some of the LAN settings need correcting, it shouldn't be too bad.

What is the model of your netgear?

10. jdoginc

jdoginc Private E-2

Handygal,
    If you're still there, my apologies. I got the computer working, left for vacation, returned and began using computer, never noticed you sent this last response! I returned to majorgeeks because my computer flubbed up again. I was using it, and after a few days of use, while in the middle of "surfing" my computer shut down, no warning, no countdown, just as if I had put it into sleep/shutdown and when it restarted, back to acquiring ip address! If you're still there, id appreciate it, if not, lol ill probably buy
    another computer :/

Jason

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds