Canon Notebook

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iandoh, Mar 6, 2006.

1. iandoh

iandoh Private E-2

I have been given a Canon BN120C, Its a 486... It came with no hard drive and I fitted the only one I have which is 20GB, However the BIOS doesn't reconise the HDD and it says it not installed. Maximum it can go upto is 500MB, Any ideas?

2. iandoh

iandoh Private E-2

Bumpzordz

3. Steeev

Steeev Corporal

Sounds like you need to enable something in BIOS called "LBA" or "Logical Block Address"
    On older systems, the BIOS will only recognise drive sizes up to 504Mb without it turned on.
    In your BIOS, bring up the options/details for your hard drive and there should be an option such as "Enable LBA" or "LBA y/n" etc. Switch it on, save and exit, and that should solve the problem.

4. iandoh

iandoh Private E-2

No LBA mode as its a 486. I need a new BIOS for it if anyone knows where to get it.

5. Cyber-Spanky

Cyber-Spanky Private E-2

See if you can find software from your HDD manufacturer that installs a special program which will act inbetween your BIOS and OS.

6. iandoh

iandoh Private E-2

Its a Hitchi and I have tried googleing for the new BIOS for the laptop (no luck) and for the software. I would like to know how to make this drive smaller, Sort of like get rid of some space. I would rather have a working laptop. It takes 508MB, Can someone tell me how I would make the HDD size down to 508MB?

7. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Only thing I can think of is a drive utility or overlay software.

If the drive is a Hitachi, try the Feature Tool available HERE.

If not, and you have checked for a Bios flash, then try a place like eBay etc for a smaller drive.

8. iandoh

iandoh Private E-2

Thanks for that. Im trying to write my drive with zeros now. I got BIOS to reconize it as a 1008MB HDD (Which is ok) but it crashs EVERYTIME I use scandisk or try to install Windoze 95. It only doesn't crash in DOS. Strange Huh?

9. iandoh

iandoh Private E-2

Right, I manged to make the drive capasity smaller. Now I need to know, How do I make the drive slower?

10. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Can't help you with that sorry.

Don't even know if it's possible.

11. iandoh

iandoh Private E-2

Well I am trying to install Windoze 95 then. It started working, Asked for disk 2, Got up to Preparing Directory and then crashed at 31%. I havn't touched it since then so its still crashed. Its got a pure solid HDD light and wont do anything. Im gonna leave it and see what happens.

12. iandoh

iandoh Private E-2

OK, I managed to get Windoze 3.1 installed on it. Now I have a problem. Because the drive is too fast for the laptop, it sometimes hangs. It has the same problem as above, Its got a pure solid HDD light and wont do anything, Windoze 3.1 just hangs. Anyone got any ideas how to slow UDMA down?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds