How to Print Temporary Internet Files

Discussion in 'Software' started by mikey1120, Apr 14, 2006.

1. mikey1120

mikey1120 Private E-2

I hope someone can help me with this, it is driving me insane! I need to print out the temporary internet files folder (With all dates and times included) on a Windows 2000 computer. I can't figure out how to do this, please help! Thanks in advance!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Try this app JDirprint freebie that works fine for me for DIR printing, if you want all the files in any folder also with date/time etc you will need to click "Recurse Sub Directories"

so basically with the tool Download and Run then click the ! next to the Directory box and browse to the folder you want, double check under Display tab that all the options are ticked and click Start

3. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Well I have no idea why you would want to accomplish such a feat but you could simply open a command line (press windows+r" type cmd and press enter). Once the command line is opened type the following two lines, pressing enter after each.

cd "%homedrive%\%homepath%\local settings\temporary internet files"
    dir/a/s > C:\tempfiles.txt

Now simply close the commandline, you have now created a file called tempfiles.txt that you can find in the root of your C drive. It contains a list of all the files, with there sizes and dates. You can open this list in any normal text editor and go to file print.

4. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

hi mikey1120
    Good question. Since your "Temporary Internet Files" folder is a Microsoft "special" folder, the usual methods of printing the list will all fail. The actual "list" is contained in a file named index.dat which is maintained in Microsoft's proprietary database format. All those nice columns with useful data are the data-base fields which are expanded in the Explorer "container" pane. You can search the web for index.dat and find a variety of Index.dat Viewers(some will provide printing ability) and Index.dat Deleters. Also, keep in mind that Microsoft uses the filename index.dat as a generic name to house information on "cookies" and "history" as well as the links to "temporary cache" data. If you have administrator priviledge open a command console( run CMD.EXE) and type:
    c:
    cd \
    dir /a/s index.dat > index.dat.txt
    notepad index.dat.txt

This file will show the complete list of all index.dat files on your C: drive. If you are using a different drive letter - substitute it instead. :)

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

Index.dat is correct.

But, everyone is going in the wrong direction with this... :)

Or, maybe I'm just confused.... Which isn't unusual

Download: http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4280 (Index.dat Suite 2.9.0)

Run this app, then click save log, and save it somewhere, you can locate again.

Otherwise, follow CoCo's method....

Unless you do just need to view all files within the temporary internet files....

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

To simplyfy this, use the following instead:

dir /a /s > c:\tempfiles.txt | notepad c:\tempfiles.txt

| <--- this is SHIFT + the \ key......

7. mikey1120

mikey1120 Private E-2

Thanks to everyone for the great responses, but I tried all the methods and was unable to achieve exactly what I needed. I should have explained myself some more, I apologize, but this is what I need and why I need it:

I work for a store that has one PC in which everyone shares (Windows 2000 and only one user name), however there have been some people getting online when they shouldn't and the owner of the store had asked me to print out the temporary internet files because every once in a while someone will clear it all out and the owner wanted a hard copy. In the Temporary Internet Files folder, there are websites that contain email addresses for people that work for the store, so I need to be able to print out the entire folder including the date/time AND the Internet Address that was accessed at the time. So far, I have been unable to get the Internet Address with the methods described below.

So, basically, I need to print out the list in the form that it is in when you view it (I've just been doing print screens and it can take forever). Hopefully that cleared some things up, and thanks again for the responses!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds