Gateway GT5220 will not post unless I do this

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zadig69, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Zadig69

Zadig69 Private E-2

In order for the computer to post and give me video I have to open the dvdrom drive and then push the power button.

If I do not do that, when I push the power button the fans start but no video.

It has onboard video. I removed the only pci card(modem). I cleared CMOS, reseated ram, and disconnected everything from the board except for video, harddrive, and power connector. problem still exists.

If I try 10-20 times sometimes it will post. The only surefire way I have gotten this to work 100% of the time(so far) is what I described above.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong?

Thanks!

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Sounds like a short to me.

And what do you mean by you have to open your dvdrom drive and push the power button?

3. Zadig69

Zadig69 Private E-2

when i push the power button and the fans start it gives power(so it seems) to the board. I am able to open the dvdrom drive door but still not video. So I have to power down with the door open wait a second and then power back up. That is the only combination I have found so far that gets it to post. This started happening a couple weeks ago and nothing was added to it. Very frustrating!

4. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Sounds like a power supply issue to me. Do you have another power supply on hand?

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

What happens when you have the DVDROM unplugged? Does it POST?

6. Zadig69

Zadig69 Private E-2

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try another power supply.

As far as what happens when I disconnected the DVDRom, originally when I had it disconnected it would not POST. When I just tried with it disconnected it did POST. Now it is connected again and it will post.

However, when I try to restart the computer it will not post even though the power button is illuminated.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds