5 connections on a 4-port router speed question...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by koppinjo, Aug 23, 2004.

1. koppinjo

koppinjo Private E-2

Okay, heres the situation:

I just moved into my house with 4 other roommates and we got comcast highspeed internet...The problem lies in the router. We have a 4 port, but need 5 connections. My question is, how much will the speed be slowed if we just split one of the 4 ports of the router? That way, we save money and don't have to buy an 8-port router (we want to buy locally cause it's faster), just a 2-port hub or something, I think... I'm new to networking, so any info that I got wrong that should be corrected is welcome. Thanks in advance, -Joe

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

off the router.. I'd buy a 10/100 switch for 25.00 at comp USA. You should be fine.

3. koppinjo

koppinjo Private E-2

whats the difference between a switch and a router, and why would a switch be better? I'm new to home networking...

4. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

a router basically takes one type of dynamic connection (such as dsl) and distributes it to another dynamic connection (such as a home network on dhcp). most routers come with a built in switch, which allows many computers to be connected onto one local area network. by buying a switch at compusa, you can hook it up to the router and have more computers connected to the network. all you're doing is daisy chaining switches, like you can do with power strips.

5. koppinjo

koppinjo Private E-2

so, I could just buy a 5-port switch locally and plug the cable modem into the switch, then plug the 5 computers in the house into the switch, and we'll all be able to have separate internet and so on and so forth? If so, I'll definitely do that, I just want to make sure that I'm understanding what you're telling me. we have a cable modem right now, plugged into the computer that I'm writing all this from. Thanks again, -Joe

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Cable modem to router via uplink port. Leaves you 4 ports left. 3 pc's get plugged in and the 4th one goes from the router to the uplink port on the 5 port switch. Remaining PC's get plugged in to the switch as needed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds