reg. help

Discussion in 'Software' started by robertbiferi, Jun 15, 2012.

1. robertbiferi

robertbiferi I can't follow the rules

I have win7. home premiume 64 Bit and my Autoplay does not work and even if I go through the reg. nodrivetypeautorun is not there.

So I was going to do this.
    I was going to go through reg. tree to

HKEY CURRENT USER/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENT VERSON/POLICIES/EXPLORE

When I get to Explore I right click it and click NEW and then click Dword32 Bit.

Then it sould put a new name Box in the right side of the REG. window and I name it nodrivetypeautorun and give it the HEX value of 0x00000091

And then do the same for
    HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENT VERSON/POLICIES/EXPLORE

dO i HAVE THIS ALL RIGHT BEFOR i DO IT?

2. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

3. robertbiferi

I typre gpedit.msc and a window opens that says No Search was found.

4. robertbiferi

I have win7. home premiume 64 Bit it does not come with gpedit.msc

So tell me if I would be doing this right
    First off unplug all useb devices.

1. make restore point.
    2. type regedit in the run Box
    3. go to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS CURRENT VERSOSN/POLICES/EXPLORE
    4. right click on explore and click new then click Dword32 Bit.
    5. on the right side of windows give it the name of nodrivetypeautorun
    6. give the value of 0x00000091
    7. reboot.

Is every little thing I say right?

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes Group Policy Editor (gpedit) is not availabe in Win 7 Home Premium, its only available in Entrerprise, Business or Ultimate versions as a Home user should never need to enter group policy as there is nothing they should need to enable or disable in that area.

Autoplay/run is a security nightmare and Windows versions have been disabling this with updates over the past year or so for versions that had this enabled as Autoplay will allow malware to run automatically, so personally I would never enable autorun/play at all.

I was convinced the hex for the Dword value was 0x91 only.

But can you not enable Autoplay via the Control Panel and this location Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\AutoPlay (just type autoplay into the Start Search box) then choose your options per remove device.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds