sfc /scannow problems...

Discussion in 'Software' started by tym, May 10, 2008.

1. tym

tym Corporal

When I try to run sfc /scannow all I get is short flash of a dos box, then nothing?? I have googled, looked around here, im just finding the solution.

Second queston, sfc /scannow will deal with possible .dll file issues as well won't it? Thanks all.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

It sounds like you're trying to run it from the Run line.... you need to click Run, type cmd and click OK. Then type sfc /scannow in the now open Command Prompt window and press Enter. It's generally a good idea to type sfc /purgecache before running the /scannow as it will 'force' the scan to pull files from the XP disc when they're needed, instead of using files cached on the PC. This way you're guaranteed to get 'clean' files. Another good quick fix for .dll files is Dial-A-Fix. Check it out here http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4899.html
    I hope this helps :D

[dlb]
    :major

3. tym

tym Corporal

Ok I got the error 0x000006ba . Well I looked around and in the services, I made sure rpc was set to automatic, and the second setting for rpc was manual? Did all that and did the reboot thing. Still getting that 0x000006ba error. Both settings in the rpc are still set to automatic for the first entry and manaul for the second. Any ideas?? Forgot the to add, the error say rpc server unavaliable.

4. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Most likely the RPC error is caused by a virus, or possibly spyware.
    I would run an up-to-date anti-virus scan first, and then possibly a
    spyware scan as well.

5. tym

tym Corporal

Have run spybot. Will check with hijack this and if all else fails will run both anit-virus and spybot in safe mode. Just seems strange.

6. tym

tym Corporal

Nada on the spyware and virus, did a scan with spybot, avg both in safe mode. Ran hijack this, nothing. So something is missing. or gone wrong. If nothing else, I will just do a reinstall, see what happens. Hopeing to avoid it. But then again, While I do have a nice ghost image of my current set up, no really clean ghost image of a fresh install. Hope someone comes along with a solution. Thans all.

7. tym

tym Corporal

Any other ideas??

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds