program.exe is not a valid win32 application error

Discussion in 'Software' started by 3525252, Sep 12, 2005.

1. 3525252

3525252 Private E-2

Im running windows XP and i just recently got this problem.

when ever i goto open something on my desktop I get an error saying exploror is not a valid win32 application or c://program files/blah.exe is not a valid win32 application

bascilly i cannot open any programs besides the internet.

HELP ASAP!

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Have you run an up to date virus checker? I ask because the SirCam virus can modify the .exe file association in the registry.

3. 3525252

3525252 Private E-2

I cannot run any programs on the desktop, i had to goto the start button to start firefx but no other programs will open.

4. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

OK can you by any chance run regedit? If so then

Click Start, Run and type Command
    Type the following and then press Enter after typing each one:
    cd\windows
    regedit
    Navigate to and select the following key:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ exefile \ shell \ open \ command

Double-click the (Default) value in the right pane
    Delete the current value data, and then type:
    "%1" %* [with quotes]

(ie., quote-percent-one-quote-space-percent-asterisk.)

Navigate to:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe

In the right-pane, set (default) to exefile
    Exit the Registry Editor.
    If you're unable to launch Regedit.exe even from Command Prompt, try this:

copy regedit.exe regedit.com
    regedit.com

Alternately, you may download fixreg.com from Grisoft.com site and run it. This utility fixes the exefile association in the registry automatically.

By the way I found this info here :)

5. 3525252

3525252 Private E-2

Command and regedit dont work. I get an error saying " the system file is not suitable for running msdos and microsoft windows applications."

I got an online virus scanner and it detected over 120 virus' I deleted them then ran safe mode and ran it again, 15 more. In normal windows I click on something to open it and it says " windows cannot find "blahblahblah.exe" make sure you typed the name correctly"

6. 3525252

3525252 Private E-2

nevermid i fixed it all .

7. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Well I'm glad you fixed it. But if you had 120 viruses on your PC it makes me wonder what other malware you may have gathered over time. :eek:

Download Ad-Aware and/or SpyBot and see if you can clean any more cr*p out. And get a free virus checker on your PC permanently such as AVG.

Good luck. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds