wifi

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zwartsj, Feb 8, 2006.

1. zwartsj

zwartsj Private E-2

can any body help me

I am usıng this rubish wındows utitlity for connecting to my wifi network. The problem I have it keeps on disconnecting becouse there is more than one router in the area (with the same name) I cant change this.

does any body know of a dıffrent utility i can use.

I have a acer ferrari 3400 with an internal broadcom mini-PCI.

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

First thing is to make sure that only one Wireless management application is loaded.
    I.e. switch off the Windows Zero Configuration (WZC) service if you do not use it, or and take out of the Startup the Brand’s Utility if you use WZC.

Switch off Windows Zero Configuration and load the Original Brand Utility. Change channels and see if it helps.

Some Utilities let you check an Entry “Connect only to this Wireless Source” may be yours would do it to.

Otherwise the only thing that you can do is making sure that in your environment your signal is the Best. http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html

You can use WZC once every thing settles because it is the most comfortable Interface

:)

3. zwartsj

zwartsj Private E-2

I did not get any utility with the laptop so i can load that

its an internal wifi card. so i have no outher option but using the windows xp one wich is crap becouse i know there are 5 routers near my room it only showes up one . (all the routers has the same ssid but are on diffrent channels)

4. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

You need to change the channel of your WIFI access point or router which ever you are using and change the ssid to something unique.

Example:
    if you have a Linksys wireless router, use your browser to access the router by typing the following in your address bar http://192.168.1.1 , a popup will appear asking for your username and password. The username would be left blank and the password would be admin. change the password, ssid and channel. I would make the channel perhaps 8 or 9. these instructions only work on a Linksys router. If you have something else the address and password would be different.

You can download from MG a utility called NetStumbler which will tell you the channel and ssid of other networks in the neighborhood. Pick a channel thats not being used

5. zwartsj

zwartsj Private E-2

I live in the university dorms so accessing the router and changing the ssid or channel is no option as its password protected. And I don’t have access to it.

each of the routers are on different channels but have the same ssid (I cant change this don’t have access to the router)

if I use another laptop with a linksys card in it and using the linksys utility it does not disconnect every few seconds (I can also choose the router i wish to connect to (there is about 5).

but with the laptop that has the wifi build in to it uses the windows xp utility and this only shows 1 name in the box if you scan the area (i know this is because they all have the same ssid)

so that’s why I asked if any one knows of a different universal utility that I could use instead of the windows one.
    As there was no utility that came with the Acer Ferrari 3400.

6. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

What exactly does the Device Manager call the WIFI card. Given a brand name, maybe we can direct you to a utility from the Manufacturer.

PcTel has a utility that works with most WIFI cards but it's not free.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds