XP: No program responding after a while.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Milamber, May 10, 2010.

1. Milamber

Milamber Private E-2

Hey all. *smile*

First of all, sorry if this problem has been solved elsewhere, but if it was, I could not find the corresponding thread.

Now to cut straight to the point:
    I have the odd issue for a couple of days now that after I'm running my pc for a while, I will not be able to start any program or application at all.
    Whatever is active at the time is still functional, I can chat, play games, browse, but I cannot start something new, not even open the explorer or bring up the Task-Manager, let alone shut down properly.
    After I restart it will run properly again for a while and then all begin anew.
    I have AVG installed and updated, a scan brought up nothing.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Have you tried restoring to a date before the problem developed? If so, what happened?

3. Milamber

Milamber Private E-2

I am a bit unsure about how the restore points work.
    Is it possible to turn them off?
    Where is the data saved?
    If I had malware at the restoration point, which was later removed, will it be back again once I restore?

Update:
    I have looked around the site a bite more and found a registry fix that seems to have helped on a somewhat similar problem before!
    Have run that and so far the problem did not occur again, going to watch it and update if needed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds