Panda antivirus users beware of spyware

Discussion in 'Software' started by Endi, Jan 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

o_O

Thats not cool.

Guess Ill stay with 2003.

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

wow.. bummer.

4. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

I am not sure what good it will do But I will email panda and ask them

WHY??????

I will post the answer here if they bother to answer that is :)

for now I have quarantined it. my connection still working :)

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Was that the version with the firewall too?

6. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

No its just the antivirus (no firewall)

7. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

I hope I was not to direct :) and to the point

8. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hi endiablado that is indeed spy ware and over the coming year more and more authors will probably go down this route to cover increasing costs. As a reminder to you all always on installation of software is to keep a look out as to exactly of what you are actually installing. Software like spywareguard and spyware blaster are very good and can play a big part in keeping spy ware off your computer

Last edited: Jan 2, 2004
  9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You would think the cost of the program would cover their costs...this isn't freeware.

10. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

True, but you might also consider them trying to offer software at lower costs and having to make up the difference somewhere else. Personally, I'd rather pay more than have someone spy on my shit.

11. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

I am so upset right now at Panda for being so sneaky and not professional that I am thinking about saying to hell with the 29.99 I paid and getting another antivirus.

from the webhancer site itself

Information collected
    webHancer collects Internet performance information using a small, transparent program known as the Customer Companion. Users typically download and install the Customer Companion via the Internet. The Customer Companion measures web transaction performance experienced by users. The data collected is used by website operators and network service providers to analyze and improve the level of service that they provide to their users.

Examples of information that we collect are: web page address, web page size, web page load time, web page completion state and network delay time. Any personally identifiable information collected as part of information contained in a web site address or URL query string that is received by webHancer is never forwarded to a commercial third party. We do not permit collected information to be correlated with other information to identify the browsing habits of any specific individual. We do not request that our users provide any personally identifiable information as part of a registration process or through the operation of our software.

http://www.webhancer.com/privacy/

12. Jabman

Jabman Private First Class

endiablado, does Ad-aware or SpyBot S&D detect this? If it is only Pest Patrol detecting it, it could be a false positive on their behalf.

Regards,
    Jade.

13. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

spybot and adaware did not detect it.
    I was surprised they did not.

I run them at least once a week with the proper updates
    I installed 2004 panda about a month ago.

14. Kirschstrasse

Kirschstrasse Private E-2

What about people using earlier versions? Do you think they will try to stick this in with their updates or dat's?

15. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

If I was using the 2003 version I would check for

the following dll in the panda folder

sporder.dll

16. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

sporder.dll*
    webhdll.dll
    whagent.inf
    whInstaller.exe
    whInstaller.ini

Information came from
    http://www.spywareguide.com/product_show.php?id=26

it also adds a copy of that dll on the system32 folder.
    and also on the
    windows folder
    3 copies of the same dll so far

17. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

18. Brian C

Brian C Private Peanut Gallery

No Spyware in Nortons :p
    *runs outta here*

19. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

Here is something peculiar

after I uninstalled all 3 copies of the sporder.dll

another proccess that had me concerned about panda (webproxy)
    went from using up to 15,000k to only using 92k
    What the heck is going on??

That is a dramatic change what was that dll doing. transfering all my info somewhere I suppose.

here is the image

20. NICK ADSL UK

Hi endiablado
    I have been advised by a expert in this field that it is probably filename recognition only and that is all. However i will monitor this software and should anything of interest come about will get back to you

21. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

Thank you Nick.

I have not yet gotten a response from them. I dont think I will, I will keep bugging them till they submit an answer.

I have uninstaled the 2004 version and have gone back to the 2003. It seems to use less resources and does not have any indication of suspicious activity.

at least not yet.

:)

22. Jabman

Hi Nick :).

Your source is correct,....it is a false positive on PestPatrols part.

@endiablado,...the sporder.dll is used for panda's webproxy (email scanning), hence the dramatic drop from 15000k to 92k after you removed the .dll's in question.

Regards,
    Jade.

Btw,...it is generally a good idea to stay with an antivirus programs latest version as the engines will have been enhanced (better unpackers,heuristics,detection etc.).

23. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

Hey Jabman, I am curious how you came to this conclusion.

How do you know

can you post a link :)

24. Jabman

Sorry, should have explained myself. I did a string extraction on the .dll and it showed that it is used for the webproxy (Lsp etc). I did have a screenshot of the extraction but have deleted it :(.

I believe that LowWaterMark (Admin) over at wilderssecurity uses this version of Panda, and if anything was suspicious about it would have said so.

I can PM him and ask if you want a second opinion?

Regards,
    Jade.

25. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

that sounds good. the more information the better. It would be a good thing to put this issue to rest on a positive note.

Thank you again

26. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

Thanks xflat

BY the way those guys have not emailed me back yet

27. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

Well here I go

After four attemps at getting a simple answer from Panda they have not answered my simple questions.

Too bad, I just paid for their services about 2 months ago so I will use them till the end of the year. then I will make sure I change to another company.

I suspect that this company is not even an American company. It seems to me that this company is from Spain.

Reasons I will stop usiing them is because of the lack of respect and prompt attention to a matter that to me was very important.

4 times i tried and 4 times I gave them a week in which to reply

They did not

Now for the second thing at hand

I installed the 2004 on another computer and I also ran pest patrol on that machine too. come to find out the sporder.dll this time was not detected by pest patrol. same updates and same program.

which leads me to believe that they have corrected their mistake or panda made sure they do not classify sporder.dll as spyware from the webhancer company. I still have my doubts and will not deal with any company that does not provide costumer service like panda has shown. If they are not willing to clarify my questions with a simple email. then I am not willing to do business with a company that chooses which emails they will answer and chooses who they will answer to.

To pest patrol I say. You better damn check and tripple check what you say is spyware. without verifying you are creating a lot of problems for users and companies of software.

Panda might have been cleared for now but still they refused to answer my emails and therefore then are no longer a company I deemed trustworthy.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2004
  28. NICK ADSL UK

Hi endiablado
    You are correct that there head office is in Spain but they also have a head office in the USA
    I am sure you have but have you contacted them on +1-818-54-36-901
    and the fax number is +1-818-54-36-910
    Both numbers are in the USA hope this helps

29. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Damn good post endiablado.

30. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

Hi endiablado
    You are correct that there head office is in Spain but they also have a head office in the USA
    I am sure you have but have you contacted them on +1-818-54-36-901
    and the fax number is +1-818-54-36-910
    Both numbers are in the USA hope this helps

Thank you very much for the information. I will fax them the same email and see what happens this time

Thanks adrynalyne
    Nothing annoys me more than poor costumer service. I work for a company that prides itself in this field and I personally feel that a company that provides poor costumer service will eventually go down.

Then they wonder what happened.

31. tdinc

tdinc Private E-2

I emailed the information to Patrick M. Kolla from spybot to investigate this major issue
    I will keep this thread up to date with any information I get.

32. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

I'm sorry xflat but I must of have missed the whole letter. I did not get it from you somehow. and you are right. I would have raised more hell if what you have posted here is what I had read.

We are all going to get to the bottom of this somehow. Thanks to the efforts of folks that are not willing to live with software that invades our privacy.

It is my most sincere wish that he takes up on this and gets to the bottom of this.

Thank you all and

AMEM

33. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

Its back

this sporder.dll is back

Pest patrol reported this a while back now pest patrol its reporting it again

under a different name
    http://pestpatrol.com/zks/pestinfo/b/belcaro_goldenretriever.asp

Apparently from the same makers as
    http://www.spyany.com/program/article_spy_rm_SAHAgent.html

For those of you who remember.

sporder.dll was found on my computer a while back by pest patrol. At the time it was reported to be part of the software package of Panda Antivirus.

I wrote to panda and never got a response back
    then they wrote xflat and told him him that it was indeed spyware but that it was to fight spyware
    go figure that.

now I just got finished running pest patrol and to my surprise it found the same sporder.dll but this time its under a different program name

BTW Panda never did write back. but has had the nerve to send me customer service surveys :mad:

34. rikki661

rikki661 Private E-2

35. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

it would be best if you stuck to that thread where BJ is helping you to resolve this, rather than open a new thread ( ok old thread ) where advice from two threads will get confusing to you and whoever is helping you out :)

36. rikki661

rikki661 Private E-2

wasnt starting a new thread or asking for help just adding to yours and may be helping someone who follows the link to mine

37. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

All I can say is that I was thinking of changing my AV which is Norton. One thing is for sure I am NEVER EVER buying any software from Panda. They are going onto my blacklist and likely never coming off it.

Cheers

38. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

If you take a look at the date of this thread you will notice its from a year ago and Panda has updated since then. I will however agree with you with a AVG and AVAST being free and pretty good you dont have to buy any AV :)

39. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

It is worth emphasing that this thread is well over a year old. A lot of the information will be out of date by now, and no good to judge the product by. It'd be like saying Germany is evil because its ruled by Nazis, and then not go on holiday there.

40. Brandon

Brandon controlmind

You could always switch too a free av like Avast, Avg, or Antivir after your panda licence expires...or you could go for another paid av like NOD32 or Kaspersky.

I used to be a Panda user, but didnt really like there anti-virus product but too hear that it has spyware in it... thats sad.

controlmind

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
  41. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Hello? The thread is over a year old!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds