Cannot restore to before a Vista update

Discussion in 'Software' started by dsgold, Jul 12, 2008.

1. dsgold

dsgold Private E-2

Since a Vista Home Premium update this week, I have problems with crashes of IE, Powerpoint, Outlook 2007. I tried to restore to before the update, but I get a message that there are corrupt sectors on C: and I have to fix these errors. But as per many other posts here, chkdsk will not run. Disk is in use; do you want to schedule it for reboot? yes, but it doesn't run. So I tried to use the chkdsk/r option as per dlb here, doesn't work. Tried Microsoft Windows live onecare safety scanner without success. Ran RegistryBooster, SpeedupmyPC, McAfee, Spyware Doctor too without benefit. So to summarize:
    1. I can't restore to before a bad Windows update and
    2. I still can't figure out how to run a chkdsk

I appreciate all of your invaluable help. You have all provided useful info on more occasions than I have in my organic memory.

2. dsgold

dsgold Private E-2

amazingly Dell support was able to help. This worked, basically running chkdsk in safe mode. Then I was able to restore system to the earlier point before the update, and everything was fine! Of course the two previous suggestions from Dell were ridiculous but then they got it! I'm not sure why but running chkdsk from the "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" got hung up. I tried again with success by choosing "repair computer" which allowed the chkdsk option successfully.

Here are the steps on how to run the CHECK DISK by running it on SAFE MODE and within the COMMAND PROMPT.

Start the computer in safe mode and running command prompt When you start the computer in safe mode, you can determine whether the cause of the startup-related performance issue is related to a background service or to a driver or an update that has failed.

To start in safe mode, follow these steps:
    1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.
    2. Click Start, click the arrow next to the Lock button, and then click Restart.
    3. Press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts.

Note You have to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you must try to restart your computer. To do this, wait until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shut down and restart your computer.
    4. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to select the Safe Mode with Command Prompt option, and then press ENTER.
    5. Log on to your computer by using a user account that has administrator rights.
    6. Upon logging in, you will see a black screen with a command prompt where you can enter commands, usually shows in C:\Windows\SYSTEM32>, however, if you are seeing another path instead of the one provided, you can just type in cd\ then typing in cd c:\Windows\system32 to go to that path.
    7. Just type in CHKDSK and it should run the CHKDSK for you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds