chkdsk freezes on step 2

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nailem, Dec 14, 2008.

1. nailem

nailem Private E-2

I have a gateway laptop running xp and it crashed a few weeks ago. when it rebooted it started chkdsk and it stops on step 2. i have let it sit for about 30 minutes with no change. i ran adaware, spybot, spyware blaster, avg. all come back clean. i have also run ccleaner serch for issues and HDtunes. HDtunes had 1 red block but it said 0.0% damaged. i then tried to do regedit and under hkey_local_machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute and it said something like isodelet autocheck autochk *
    so i made it say autocheck autochk *. restart and it still went to chkdsk.
    please advise.

i have read some things about kav6 but i do not have kav.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What is step 2?
    If you cancel chkdsk, does the computer then boot normally into windows and work okay?

3. nailem

nailem Private E-2

when chkdsk starts it goes says step 1 and counts up to 100% then reads step 2 and freezes at 0%. if i cancel chkdsk then it starts fine and i have no problems. runs fast, no freezing. i would like to do a defrag but i cant because it says i have to run chkdsk first. plus it is annoying.

4. plodr

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    scroll down to line 294 and in the left column, click on Prevent check disk upon boot. That will prevent it from running when you boot up.

Turn off your antivirus and see if you can run check disk.

5. nailem

nailem Private E-2

plodr, thank you so much. i no longer have chkdsk on restart.

i disable my anti-virus and tried to run chkdsk /r and it says " chkdsk did not run because the process is being used by another process"

i then tried "smart close" to close everything and got the same message when trying to run chkdsk /r.

i also still can not defrag because it says i need to run chkdsk.

but still thank you no more blue screen at start up!!!!!!

6. plodr

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds