prevent word from keeping history

Discussion in 'Software' started by bern, Dec 27, 2003.

1. bern

bern Sergeant

how can i stop word from keeping my document history :rolleyes:

2. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

3. bern

bern Sergeant

wow awsome it found 585 mru is it safe to delete them . will they not a problem also i did not see a restore for just in case

4. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

I have used it for about 2 weeks and it seems to be doing allright. it has not created problems for me. Now I even have the options of automatic cleaning setup.

It should be safe but just in case like you say

Maybe you should have your system restore active

5. bern

bern Sergeant

i d/loaded the mru blaster and it works great so far . i always keep system restore enabled as it is my lifesaver . as for the doc history it did not solve that problem however in the word 2003 options i found recent files history and set it to nil days and it works great

thanks for the help

6. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Clear out your Sys Restore folder every once in a while, and you should be able to continue to treat Sys Restore as a dependable life preserver when the ship goes down.

Open that copy of Word and spend 30 minutes exploring all of the controls and options available when you click Tools/Options and Tools/Customize, and you'll save yourself a lot of future grief. A LOT of what you don't like, won't like, or would rather have another way in Word is controllable in those two systems (Options & Customize). You have my Word on it.

Have a good 2004.

7. bern

bern Sergeant

a wiser WORD was never better said, THANKS for the help . by the way is there a way to delete all the restore dates except the most recent restore date for just in case: lol :D

8. Wisewiz

Yeah. Nothing's easier.
    Go to your Disk Cleanup (in System Tools), use the More Options tab, and use the Clean Up button at the bottom.

But note: The right way to really clean out the SR system is to turn it OFF for all drives when all is well with your machine, immediately reboot, then turn it back ON immediately and reset it for your drives. It will instantly create SR1.

Nerves of steel are hardly required for a two-minute absence of any Restore Points.

9. bern

bern Sergeant

i am using win xp pro and in my disk clean up there is only the the option to clean up my c d or e drive nothing else

10. Starkman

Starkman Private First Class

Manually delete entries in System Restore folder???

Say, Wizewiz,

You said, "Clear out your Sys Restore folder every once in a while ...." Now, are there entries in this folder to literally delete, or does just turning SR off, rebooting and turning it back on enough to thoroughly clean the SR folder?

Thanks much,

11. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Starkman as Wisewiz says ..... just turn off SR reboot to clear all the SR points and turn on again to enable SR but check the amount of space SR is using per HD as it can eat up space.

12. Wisewiz

Bern, you obviously are not a VETERAN user of the Disk Cleanup utility. Congratulations. Geeks seldom use the derned thing, cuz it's a dumbed-down workaround for things you can do (and more effectively) without it.

But for this one little trick, it's handy: It'll let you wipe all but the latest Restore Point. They build up at an alarming rate, because the System Restore system tracks EVERYTHING you do to chnage the file content and configuration of each of the drives it's monitoring. Most advanced users turn it off for non-system drives, because they back up their data independently, and they have installation disks for loaded utilities, and they only need the Restore Points if something goes wonky on the system drive.

You just didn't go far enough into it.

When you click Disk Cleanup, the FIRST panel asks you WHICH drive you want to clean (because you have more than one drive--users with only one drive never see that panel). If you select your main (system) drive (usually C) and clcik the button, the NEXT panel you'll see will show you an inventory of junk files on THAT drive that you can wipe by just setting a checkmark beside the category of junk, and clciking the cleanup button.

But there's MORE. There's a second tab available on that panel, and if you clcik that to select the other panel, you'll see a new panel with three Cleanup buttons on it.

The one down at the bottom of the panel is the one you want. READ 'EM AND WIPE!

Let us know if you have any further trouble, and watch the rest of this thread for possibly valuable info.
    (I know how to spell clcik, but my fingers don't like that order of cahracters.)

13. Wisewiz

If you have your Explorer set to show hidden and system files and folders, you can SEE the Restore Points in the drive's System Volume Information folder. They're all inside a random-number folder, and they're all numbered: RP1, RP2, etc. and if you open an RP, you'll see that it's composed of a Snapshot and a lot of files and data records. The snapshots are all about the same size, but the RPs can be enormously different in size, because if you've done a lot of configuring or installing or uninstalling since the last RP was created, the RP contains records of all of that activity PLUS the snapshot (which is a record of the state of the drive at the INSTANT when the RP was created). So, the complex RP contains a record of your drive at a single point in time, and a record of everything you've CHANGED since that point in time, UP TO the point of the creation of the NEXT RP.

Enough on that. I've written extensively about the system here on this forum.

If you can SEE the RPs in System Volume Information\{xxxxxxxxxxxx....}\, you can delete some of them, but there are two BIG caveats: You shouldn't even TRY to delete the latest one (the highest-numbered one) you see there, because it's a running record that's running right NOW, while Windows is running.
    The other thing is that it would be a mistake to try to winnow the folder by random deletion of RPs. They build on each other in sequence. The right way to clear out some but not all is to wipe them from the lowest number first, then the next lowest, and so on. If you have RP25 through RP50 in there, it's okay to delete RP25 through RP45 (for instance), but you'd be mucking up the system if you deleted RP27 through RP45, leaving RP25 and RP 26 in there with RP46 through RP50. Just don't.

Now, Disk Cleanup allows you to remove all RPs except the latest with a single clcik. But it doesn't re-set the counter, because it leaves the highest-numbered RP in there, and builds from there on up.

For a COMPLETE cleaning of the System Restore system, INCLUDING the re-setting of the counter, so that you can start with RP1 again, all you need to do is pick a day when everything is okay on your machine, then turn OFF System Restore on all drives, immediately shut down and reboot, and then go right back to the System Restore controls and turn System Restore back ON and reset it for your drives as you had it or as you want it. That means you're without a Restore Point for about a total of 90 seconds. Grit your teeth. You can stand it.

14. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

went from cleaning MRU to system restore.. I recommend that when moving to topics like this to post a NEW thread pertaining to the new topic(s).

15. Wisewiz

Yeah, Mr. K, I always am tempted to quote the new question (the one on a different topic entirely) and start a new thread with it, but then it would be MY thread, not the questioner's. Should I ask the questioner to copy his question and start a new thread with it? How do we handle it when a questioner starts a new thread as part of his old query?

(And here we go with a thread on board procedure, when we started out with MRU records, migrated to Disk Cleanup, segued into System Restore, and then sidestepped into board procedure...)

16. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Kindly suggest that a new thread be started.

17. bern

bern Sergeant

hi thanks for all the help great feed back :)

18. Starkman

Starkman Private First Class

Thanks very, very much, O Wizewiz!
    You da Wiz (no, that doesn't sound good. Scratch that!)

Thanks,

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds