boy do i need Geeks help. progs taking 10 mins to load....

Discussion in 'Software' started by Flooz, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Flooz

Flooz Private First Class

Dear Geeks,

I had my pc's running perfectly smoothly 2 days ago, then today, I ran a virus check (after having a teenager on the main pc all weekend), the only thing it found was JS/Small - which I believe is a Trojan, and my Anti Vir got rid of it perfectly, then I ran Spy Bot, again, nothing extraordinary there. Just for a change I actually turned the pc off for a while, rather than put it into standby.

Upon re-starting, I noticed that some of the start up progs I run, like win patrol, and my BB connection, were not showing their icons in my system tray. Oh well, nothing major I thought. Then I proceeded to have a browse on the net myself, and collect e-mails too.......

Only, none of my programs would respond.... even task manager, didn't want to.....

I thought I'd run a system restore...... no response......

Eventually, I gave up and turned the thing off!!

On trying again, and having more patience, I can get programs to run, if I give them about 10 minutes to 'warm up'......

Also, found my anti was de-activated for some strange reason.

My limited knowledge tells me that something's wrong, but I haven't a clue what to look for or how to fix it.

Oh, and i'm behind a firewall too.....

Any ideas you lovely people you ???

ps. any response has to be worded in 'dummy' mode..... ;)

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Does it happen in Safe Mode?

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Adding to Adrynalyne's thought... If I had a virus and did not remove it from safe mode, with System Restore disabled, I would not be in the least bit confident that it was removed. Safe mode with networking and a complete virus scan online would make me feel better about getting past the virus possibility.

4. Flooz

i'm not sure, i think i know how to start in safe, i'll be back in 15 mins if I do, but 10 mins if I don't :-s

5. Flooz

well, evidently, I didn't know how to start in 'safe' mode - i thought it was F2..... however, my pc started ok and my icon's are back. But............. there's always a but somewhere isn't there, now it won't stay on my wireless network...... Not sure if that's coincidence or not....

6. Flooz

But that may be coz signal strength is low......

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Try F8, instead of F2 ;)

8. Flooz

Well, i started in 'safe', and the few progs that are available were ok, but then on restarting normally, it all seems ok...... at the moment anyhow. If i create a restore point now, at least i'll have a 'good' point. I know it's a long shot, but any idea what had happened?

Oh, by the way, ThanQ....

9. Flooz

sorry, it's no good. the pc is still taking longer than it should to load programs. I'm at a loss to know what to do now :-s

My pc IS still taking time to load OE or IE (about the only things i use regularly.

In your opinion, is it worth paying out for someone to look at the pc, and ensure that all the files I should have, I have got and are uncorrupted, and any files I shouldn't have, are erased successfully?

The problem with much of the clean up software available, is you still need a good knowledge of pc's, and I don't have that.

It'd be so nice to have the pc running exactly as it should.....

or with prices coming down all the time, maybe i should just buy a new one....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds