Kindle not recognized by USB ports

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blueone, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

I'm using XP home. I checked device manager and saw an exclamation point and updated the driver but it still doesn't show up as a drive in My Computer. It does show up in safe mode though.

2. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , do you have any yellow mark in Device Manager menu ? :wave

3. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

No on the yellow marks, I did until I updated the driver but it's fine now. Also with the Kindle plugged in, when clicking on my computer, it doesn't show anything but a grey area and when you close it, all of the desktop icons disappear. It's kind of weird. Everything acts OK if the Kindle isn't plugged in.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If the kindle appears properly in safe mode but not normal mode, it is either a program loaded in normal mode or your video driver causing the problem.

Disable the video driver in safe mode. Reboot to normal mode and plug in the kindle. What happens?

5. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

I'm embarrassed to say but I don't know how to disable the video driver. I looked in device manager but couldn't find it.

6. plodr

It might be a wrong assumption I made. You might have to do it in normal mode. It might only appear when you boot normally because safe mode doesn't load the video driver.

7. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

Let me state it more simply, I don't know how to disable the video driver. I've googled it and can't get a decent answer. Enlighten me please.

8. plodr

Open Device Manager and look for Display Adapters. Click on the + sign and highlight and right click your adapter and choose Properties. Click on the Drivers tab and select Roll back Driver.

9. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

Thanks for the response, I contacted Kindle and they are sending me another cable to see if that is the problem. If it isn't, I'll give your advice a try.

10. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

Well I got the new cord and it didn't change anything. I also rolled back my display adapter driver and that didn't work either. Funny thing, I tried to update my display adapter driver and it said it couldn't find a better match...hmmm.

11. plodr

What driver did you update?
    If you say the Kindle works in safe mode, then it points to a problem with the video driver because safe mode does not load video drivers. It just loads a generic driver.

12. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

In answer to your last post of which driver I updated.

13. plodr

What is the make and the exact model of your computer?
    I'll search for the video driver that shipped with it.
    I will then have you download this and put on your desktop.
    You will uninstall the current driver, reboot the computer and install the default driver and do another reboot.
    Then you'll attach your kindle.

My rule of thumb (and I had 14 computers so far) is NEVER update a driver unless I am having a problem.
    Never, ever accept an update drive recommendation from Microsoft.
    Always check at the manufacturer's site for the drivers.

14. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

Operating System
    MS Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3
    CPU
    AMD Sempron
    Thoroughbred 0.13um Technology
    RAM
    1.00 GB DDR @ 166MHz (2.5-5-3-7)
    Motherboard
    KM266APro-835 (Socket A) 40 °C
    Graphics
    Access is denied.
    Hard Drives
    117GB Western Digital WDC WD1200JB-00GVA0 (PATA) 30 °C
    Optical Drives
    ATAPI iHAP422 9
    Audio
    C-Media AC97 Audio Device
    Operating System
    MS Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3
    Installation Date: 20 May 2011, 19:05

I'm thinking it's made by Via technoledgies

15. plodr

That doesn't seem good.

16. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

This appears to be a common problem with the Kindle & Windows XP. As for the Access Denied for the graphics driver, that is another issue for another thread. What the graphics has to do with the Kindle not connecting, is unrelated, since it would be a USB issue.

The problem is, you are talking about poor QC, and doing some searching, it appears that Amazon dropped the ball, when it came to what USB cords will work with it. You could try buying one from monoprice.com instead of the one that Amazon gives out with the Kindle. It is just a standard micro USB cord.

Also, what are you trying to achieve by plugging the kindle into the computer? Download books, music, etc.. Also, as for the Kindle, there are no drivers that it needs. Can you post a screen shot showing the error that you are getting, along with any info off of the case of the computer, or pictures. You can run Belarc Advisor and it will pull info off as to what the machine has on it, and hardware.

17. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

I've read where some say to buy different cords, the thing that gets me is that it works on my wife's computer at work. She has Vista and that's the only difference. Downloading books is the main objective as my wife loves to read.

18. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

The only other thing I can think of is a problem with the USB port on the home computer. You could try a powered USB hub vs. plugging directly into the computer. How many USB devices do you have plugged into the computer when you plug in the Kindle, and do you plug into the front of the computer, or the rear port?

Try the USB hub and see if it does the same. Also, you do not have to connect to a computer to download books to the kindle, you just need to connect it to wifi. Only time that you may have to connect to a computer, is when you "borrow" e-books from your public library.

19. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

I've tried all the ports including a hub. The hub is not powered though. It plugs into a USB port on the back. What's funny sometimes, when I plug the Kindle in I get the this device could be used more efficiently plugged into a 2.0 port or something like that. All my ports are 2.o though. Even then which means it recognizes it, it doesn't show it on my computer.

20. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

I am not sure if it will work as other devices on your USB ports are detectd but try this fixit. If it is a VIA board, I would have to assume it uses a VIA USB chip. VIA has USB drivers that supposedly compliment the XP drivers but I would be hesitant about using those.

21. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

It is a Via board, how could I get these drivers?

22. tgell

I would try the fixit first to see if it resolves the issue. I would at least create a system restore point if you decide to install the VIA drivers. Even do a system image if possible to an external drive. You should be absolutely sure you have one of those VIA chips listed.

Here are the VIA USB drivers.

23. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

I downloaded and installed the driver and nothing changed.

24. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

I also tried the fixit method but it couldn't find the proper avenue. By that I mean it didn't have a specific fixit for USB drives.

25. tgell

Sorry it did not work. brownizs is right on the XP and kindle issue. The only idea I have left is the possiblity of a conflict with a previous USB driver that was installed. Download USBdeview. Remove any USB devices except for the mouse and keyboard. Then run USBDeview in an admin account. Delete any Vendor Specific items and only Vendor Specific Items. If a mouse or keyboard is shown, do not delete those either. Reboot the computer and attach the Kindle to a USB port on the back. I have used the program when a USB flash drive was not recognized but I am not sure if this will work for the Kindle.

[​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds