Playing DVD causes Win 2000 Stop Error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mpb, May 23, 2006.

1. mpb

mpb Private E-2

I hope some bright spark can help me solve this one. I have a dvd player that plays CD's just fine but if I put in a DVD, windows crashes every time as soon as the thing spins up! (I get stop error Kmode exception not handled)
    I tried hooking up a different DVD player and got the same results. I used to run this same DVD player on Windows 2000 on an old machine. I built myself a new machine (being a cheapskate I kept with win 2000) and have had a functioning and stable machine with just this one problem for nigh on a year. Its on an ASUS A8V deluxe motherboard, 1GB quality RAM. I'd love to sort this one out so please lets hear your thoughts.

2. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

What dvd player software are you using?
    You could try googling for freeware dvd player software and see if they help.

3. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

After checking google i found this freeware dvd player http://www.cliprex.com/ I don't know if this will help or not.

4. mpb

mpb Private E-2

Thanks I will try it out although unfortunately not tonight. My wife wants to play Everquest, thats the reason I was trying to get the dvd working, but she's sick of waiting for me and now she's decided to download the game - its about 12 hours download on broadband. Anyhow I have tried using powerdvd, roxio and videolan

Sometimes after the crash there is a popup dialog from my Kerio firewall offering to send an error log. I thought maybe the fierwall was the problem but I tried uninstalling it and it made no difference. I wonder if reinstalling windows would fix it or installing XP. I also suspected ASPI but have a fairly recent version of it, maybe too recent for win 2000 ??

5. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

Ugrading to xp is a good idea but then all it's update you would have to download could take a while:rolleyes: .

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds