Microsoft to end support for XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

TOP STORY from WindowsSecrets newsletter at this issue:
    http://WindowsSecrets.com/comp/081113

How to maintain XP after Microsoft ends support

By Stuart J. Johnston

:cry :(

PTL for the support we get here at Major Geeks.

Bazza

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Ya Mark, I can understand someone buying an XP rig if they have expensive software and/or hardware to replace which won't run on Vista, but other than that I can't see why folks are skittish about moving on. It's not as if Vista has a steep learning curve to conquer.:confused

It's been RTM'd nearly two years ago along with SP1 and soon to be SP2 to improve. It is darn stable and recovers easily from problems. Case in point, I had an nVidia video driver problem the other day, the screen went black for a couple of seconds and then Vista recovered and then went merrily chugging on it's way wheras XP would have surely given me a BSOD or worse.

Man, it happened so fast that I only was able to read 'nvvxxxx' was restored or something to that effect.

'Ill advised' is the correct term, someone wanted to get rid of the inventory.

3. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Support? We don't need no stinking support! :-D Thank heavens for Vista, opened my eyes to open source GNU/Linux. Hope Windows 7 lives up to the hype, no bloat, no need for third party programs to take out the trash, like nLite can. Someday I will want a new computer, with more RAM than the old system had memory on its HDD, USB 3, and solid state HDD, no moving parts.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Windows 7 has no hype apart from what folk decide to make for it on forums and blogs and press, its doomed already without 99.9% of the populus even having tried the PDC version! due to ill thought out and irrelevent comments.

Vista is fine and a more stable OS than XP was at same point in development, it just suffered from users with lack of experience trialing the betas and blogging, posting on news and forums about it, caused a wise spread panic, TBH use it with compatable hardware and its OK, never like many other OSes going to work with hardware thats too old, again another misconception due to lack of tech knowledge on how the industry progresses at an alarming rate... New tech new hardware specs and new hardware = new OSes.... I have a Momentus Hybrid drive and with its mix of SSD and HDD its rapid for its 5400RPM HDD speed, but it needs Vista or above to work.

Linux also needs its bloat taken out, its not perfect and the live distros are OK, but still not everyone can develope the skills to install a distro, its not as yet an out of the box working OS IMHO, playing with the techs in work with Dragonfly at momento.

End points happen with all software at times, Antivirus apps are famous for this but many dont moan they update or go freeware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds