Command.com Windows XP and legacy software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pmac2k, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Pmac2k

Pmac2k Private E-2

Right here is an interesting problem:

Running a Windows XP machine on a domain, we have seen this problem occure on one PC and didn't think much of it as it didn't really effect anything, now a second machine is displaying the same symptoms! The link MIGHT be combofix but I'd like to see what you all think and see if anyone has any ideas that I might have missed!

Start>Run>Command.com results in a pc speaker beep beep and the dos box opening up with the following (and yes the junk at the top is really there):

‰>!–»—€>– t»L—¾Ã–‹>˜ ¬<?uŠ< tªCâñ±° 8t°.ª¬<?uŠ< t - 12
    Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
    (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

C:\DOCUME~1\UserName>

Now.... So far I have done a full anti-virus Malware spyware etc etc sweep and nothing on there that is showing itself, furthur more cmd is working fine but the software app that the users are using runs under command.com.

I've tried running 2 DOS fix apps XP_Fix.exe (Visualtours fix for dos problems) and the quickfix for 16bit subsystem errors that extracts from the win install disks, both with no joy, same error. The machine is running XPPro SP3 all up-to-date with MS Updates. Any clues to anything would be appreciated.

Regards

Pete

2. zalonen

zalonen Private E-2

I have same problem.
    Any ideas how to fix this???

3. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds