x64 App Hunting

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mada_Milty, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

As some of you may remember, my coworker bought our strictly x86 company a batch of x64 licenses. Since none of them were of any use to us, I bought one, and built myself this machine. :D

But finding x64 apps has been a bit of a pain. I've got AV (Avast!), AS (Windows Defender x64), but I can't find any firewalls! Google is only showing Tiny Firewall as having a x64 bit edition at the cost of $100. I just thought I would see if any geeks could meet ot beat that. Freeware, anyone?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hahahah a you and me both ;) NICE PC BTW :D

I have no need of firewall as yet, looking for other apps.

However try this one as its 32/64bit compatible http://www.majorgeeks.com/GhostWall_d4774.html

Spywareblaster also seems to work ok.

3. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

5. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> But finding x64 apps has been a bit of a pain. Mada_Milty <<
    >> I have no need of firewall as yet, looking for other apps. Halo <<

Links for those using 64-bit:
    Microsoft Windows 64-bit Compatibility List

[Win 64-bit Compatible Software] | [Win 64-bit Compatible Hardware] ​

Note: According to that site AVG + Firewall v7.1.362 and Tiny firewall pro 6.5 64-bits are the only two that work well with 64 bit. Alas, neither one of these is available as freeware.

According to the MajorGeeks listing mentioned previously by Halo the GhostWall firewall is "64-bit and 32-bit compatible" and sounds like an interesting application; however I've never actually tested it; so I cannot really recommend it.

Good Luck!

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Hot diggity damn! As per usual, you guys rawk my sawks! Thanks all! Heh, I had actually tried installing Sygate Personal Firewall, despite the alarm bells going off in my head. I should've listened. None of the uninstallers were to be found in any of the usual locations (ie, didn't appear in Add/Remove, not in program folder, or start menu) and System Restore failed every time. I shrugged it off, formatted (cause I didn't want to manually rip it), and decided to be a little more cautious this time around.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  7. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

8. abri

abri MajorGeek

9. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Not a lazy person's firewall, though. It is nice that it is so lightweight, but after the program control of SPF or ZAF, it is a little cumbersome. With a little extra effort I could make my own *nix firewall, which maybe I will do just for the practice......

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds